Marion and thornton classical dynamics

In summary, the authors of both books claim that the equation v_z=-gt is incorrect. Goldstein's book has a footnote that explains how to integrate the equation twice to obtain x=\omega g t^3 \sin \theta /3. The authors of both books state that an object released from altitude will land eastward of its launch coordinates, while an object fired upward will land westward of its launch coordinates.
ehrenfest
Hello,

Does anyone have marion and thornton's classical dynamics book? I have a possible error that I wanted to point out. Actually, goldstein's classical mechanics book would work also since I found the same "error" in there as well.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have the second edition of goldstein's book. Why don't you just ask your question here, and those who have the book/s will be able to help.

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
Hello,

Does anyone have marion and thornton's classical dynamics book? I have a possible error that I wanted to point out. Actually, goldstein's classical mechanics book would work also since I found the same "error" in there as well.

I have both books, but not in their latest editions. I might not be able to look at them until tomorrow.

What error do these books have in common?

OK. I am pretty sure this is not an not an error now that I found it in both books.

equation 4.93 in goldstein:

[tex]m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-2m\omega v_z \sin \theta [/tex]

They show that

[tex]v_z = -gt[/tex]

So the first equation becomes [tex]m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= 2m\omega gt \sin \theta [/tex]

What I DO NOT understand is how they integrate that twice to obtain

[tex]x = \omega g t^3 \sin \theta /3 [/tex]

To do that, they need the initial condition [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}(t=0) = 0[/itex]. I do not understand how they get that initial condition!

Also, in a footnote of Goldstein, they say "It is easy to show, using Eq (4.93), that a particle projected upward will fall back to the ground westward of its original launching spot." That is extremely confusing to me.

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
OK. I am pretty sure this is not an not an error now that I found it in both books.

equation 4.93 in goldstein:

[tex]m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-2m\omega v_z \sin \theta [/tex]

They show that

[tex]v_z = -gt[/tex]

So the first equation becomes [tex]m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= 2m\omega gt \sin \theta [/tex]

What I DO NOT understand is how they integrate that twice to obtain

[tex]x = \omega g t^3 \sin \theta /3 [/tex]

To do that, they need the initial condition [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}(t=0) = 0[/itex]. I do not understand how they get that initial condition!

Also, in a footnote of Goldstein, they say "It is easy to show, using Eq (4.93), that a particle projected upward will fall back to the ground westward of its original launching spot." That is extremely confusing to me.
Could you be more specific? In what context is the above equation derived?

x is the eastward coriolis deflection of a free-falling object in the Northern Hemisphere

ehrenfest said:
x is the eastward coriolis deflection of a free-falling object in the Northern Hemisphere
What is the initial velocity of the free-falling body?

zero

ehrenfest said:

Let me first discuss what is happening when an object is dropped from height.
(In all of the following discussion I'm neglecting air friction.)

The trajectory of an object that is released from altitude is a ballistic trajectory. It has an initial tangential velocity, from co-rotating with the Earth. You can think of the starting point of the trajectory as the apogee of an eccentric orbit.

On its way down from apogee the angular velocity of the object in orbit increases. (Compare the extremely eccentric orbit of Halley's comet; falling towards the Sun it speeds up.)

That is why an object released from altitude will not fall perpendicular to the ground, it will reach the surface eastward of its launch coordinates.Now the case of an object fired upward.
That trajectory is like that of an orbiting object moving upward to its apogee.
In climbing up the object loses angular velocity. So relative to the Earth the object will "fall behind". Later, during the descent, it will get that angular velocity back, but in the meantime the Earth has turned underneath all that.
Therefore an object fired straight up will land westward of the coordinates that it has been launched from.

There's a Java applet on my website designed for exploring precisely that kind of scenario: http://www.cleonis.nl/physics/ejs/ballistics_and_orbits_simulation.php"

Cleonis
http://www.cleonis.nl

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Marion and Thornton Classical Dynamics"?

"Marion and Thornton Classical Dynamics" is a textbook that covers the fundamentals of classical mechanics, also known as Newtonian mechanics. It is often used in undergraduate and graduate level courses in physics and engineering.

2. Who wrote "Marion and Thornton Classical Dynamics"?

The textbook was written by Jerry B. Marion and Stephen T. Thornton, both renowned physicists and professors in the field of classical mechanics.

3. What topics are covered in "Marion and Thornton Classical Dynamics"?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics including Newton's laws of motion, conservation laws, central force motion, rigid body motion, and oscillations. It also includes advanced topics such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics.

4. Is "Marion and Thornton Classical Dynamics" suitable for self-study?

While the textbook is often used in academic settings, it is also suitable for self-study. It is written in a clear and concise manner, with plenty of examples and practice problems to help readers understand the concepts.

5. Are there any supplemental materials available for "Marion and Thornton Classical Dynamics"?

Yes, there is a solutions manual, as well as online resources such as lecture notes, simulations, and additional practice problems. These can be found on the publisher's website or through other online resources.