Proving Y is Complete in X's Isometric Embedding

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complete
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a metric space X and a point a in X. It introduces the function f_p and proves that it is bounded and continuous. It also shows that the function f_p is an isometry, which preserves distances. Additionally, it discusses the closure of this function in a complete metric space Y and shows that Y is also complete. This demonstrates that X is isometric to a dense subset of Y. The conversation also mentions the use of C(X) as the set of complex-valued, continuous, bounded functions with domain X. The main question being addressed is how to prove that Y is complete.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Let X be a metric space, with metric d. Fix a point a in X. Assign to each p in X the function f_p defined by

[tex]f_p(x) = d(x,p)-d(x,a)[/tex]

where x in X.

Prove that [itex]|f_p(x)|\leq d(a,p)[/itex] for all x in X, and that therefore, f_p in C(X).

Prove that [itex]||f_p-f_q|| = d(p,q)[/itex] for all p,q in X.

If [itex]\phi(p) = f_p[/itex] it follows that \phi is an isometry (a distance-preserving mapping) of X onto [itex]\phi(X) \subset C(X)[/itex].

Let Y be the closure of \phi(X) in C(X). Show that Y is complete.
(Conclusion: X is isometric to a dense subset of a complete metric space Y)

Note: Rudin uses C(X) as the set of complex-valued, continuous, bounded functions with domain X.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do everything but show that Y is complete. Of course we know that C(X) is complete. We also know that if {f_p_i} is a Cauchy sequence in \phi(X), then {p_i} is a Cauchy sequence in X.

If {g_n} is a Cauchy sequence in Y, then
[tex]{g_n} = {\lim_{i \to \infty} f_{n,p_i}}[/tex]
but I don't know how to use that to prove that g_n converges.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

1. What does it mean for Y to be complete in X's isometric embedding?

Being complete in X's isometric embedding means that the metric space Y is isometrically embedded in X and that Y is a complete metric space. This means that all Cauchy sequences in Y converge to a point in Y, and the distance between any two points in Y can be defined using the metric of X.

2. How is the completeness of Y in X's isometric embedding proven?

The completeness of Y in X's isometric embedding can be proven by showing that all Cauchy sequences in Y converge to a point in Y, and that the distance between any two points in Y can be defined using the metric of X. This can be done using mathematical proofs and constructions.

3. What is the significance of proving Y is complete in X's isometric embedding?

Proving Y is complete in X's isometric embedding has several practical and theoretical implications. It allows for the study and comparison of metric spaces using the well-defined metric of X. It also helps in understanding the relationship between Y and X, and can lead to the development of new mathematical concepts and theories.

4. Can Y be complete in X's isometric embedding if Y is not a complete metric space?

No, in order for Y to be complete in X's isometric embedding, Y must be a complete metric space. This is because completeness is a necessary condition for isometric embedding. If Y is not complete, then it cannot be isometrically embedded in X.

5. Are there any other conditions that must be met for Y to be complete in X's isometric embedding?

Yes, in addition to being a complete metric space, Y must also have the same metric as X. This means that the distance between any two points in Y must be defined using the metric of X. Additionally, the isometric embedding must be a one-to-one mapping between Y and its image in X, and must preserve distances between points.