Religion = product of evolution ?

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between atheism, evolution, and religion. The OP suggested that religion may be a product of evolution, with the purpose of increasing the human species' chances of survival through promoting larger families and morals. However, others disagreed with this conclusion and pointed out that religious individuals can also struggle with issues such as pessimism and escapism. The conversation also mentioned a book called "Letter to a Christian Nation" and the idea of religion being more prevalent in certain cultures, such as Irish families. Overall, the conversation had a heated and controversial tone and was eventually closed due to the OP's flawed premise.
VISTREL
First, sorry for any grammar errors because English is my second language.

This thread got me thinking about atheism and evolution:
http[:]//www[.]physicsforums.com/showthread[.]php?t=124428

From the most of replies in that thread I came to conclusion that people who don't believe in GOD have these similar outlooks on life:

- Thoughts of suicide
- Loss of interest in life, pessimistic outlook on life, etc
- or find escape in drugs, sex, alcohol, other "pleasures" in life

I will say right away that I'm neither a believer nor advocate for believing in supreme being only to have a purpose in live. I'm rather agnostic with more influence toward atheism.

However, the point of this thread is the role of religion in evolution. I personally know about 8 Christian families, and each of them have more than 5 children. Three families have more than 10 children each. This got me thinking on evolution and religion. Evolution favors species with greater offspring. Religious people tend to have big families in most cases because of theistic reasons. Just look at muslims, catholics, hindus. So I began thinking that maybe a religion is a product of evolution to help human species produce more offspring therefore increasing the chance of species' survival.

Another factor in evolution is morals. Most of religions preach to be good to others. I must admit some religions provoke wars as it did happen before, and is happening today, although, not on a large scale as several centuries ago. So with time, we and our religions have evolved to a more peaceful society compared to Middle Ages (just an example). Morals prevent most (not everyone) humans from going berserk and annihilation of others. One of the points of religion is to provide morals to masses. In other words, religion encourages compassion and prohibits murder, thus, allows for increase of specie's population by preventing unnecessary death caused by lack of morals or pointless and unrestricted (in a social way) lives..

My point is that religion is a part of evolutionary process with intent to produce more species.

I have to admit that some religions are still evolving like Islam. It is similar to what Christianity has been many centuries ago.

Physics news on Phys.org
VISTREL said:
From the most of replies in that thread I came to conclusion that people who don't believe in GOD have these similar outlooks on life:

- Thoughts of suicide

You are so wrong. It was only after finally ridding myself of the bits of religion that remained that I have felt the complete opposite of what you "concluded" there.

I wanted to get this in before the thread was locked.

You came to a pretty stupid and bullsh!t conclusion then.

No where did anyone say anything of the sorts in your list Chi responded to.

You're going to have to show where people said these things in other threads, because it reeks of BS.

Side: I found a copy of Letter to a Christian nation in my house, I am going to read it tomorrow. Its a small book and should take a day. Anyone else read it?

Last edited:
- Thoughts of suicide

Strange. Most people I know that are religious, have had those issues at one time... or still do. I would say the pessimistic outlook on life is a very common one with those that follow religions, as in 'this life' is meaningless compared to what happens in the possibility of afterlife.

VISTREL said:
First, sorry for any grammar errors because English is my second language.
However, the point of this thread is the role of religion in evolution. I personally know about 8 Christian families, and each of them have more than 5 children. Three families have more than 10 children each. This got me thinking on evolution and religion. Evolution favors species with greater offspring. Religious people tend to have big families in most cases because of theistic reasons. Just look at muslims, catholics, hindus. So I began thinking that maybe a religion is a product of evolution to help human species produce more offspring therefore increasing the chance of species' survival.

Are they Irish?

Th OP's premise is so wrong, this isn't salvagable.

Closed.

What evidence supports the idea that religion is a product of evolution?

There are several lines of evidence that support the idea of religion as a product of evolution. One is the anthropological evidence that shows the existence of religious beliefs and practices in all human societies, suggesting a common evolutionary origin. Additionally, studies have found that religious beliefs and behaviors are influenced by genes and brain structures, providing a biological basis for the development of religion. Finally, evolutionary theories, such as the theory of memetics, offer a framework for understanding the spread and persistence of religious ideas.

How does the concept of natural selection apply to the evolution of religion?

Natural selection, a key mechanism of evolution, applies to the evolution of religion in several ways. First, it explains how certain religious beliefs and behaviors may have provided an adaptive advantage to early humans, increasing their chances of survival and reproduction. Second, natural selection also helps explain the diversity of religious beliefs and practices, as different cultures and environments may have favored different religious ideas. Finally, natural selection can also account for the persistence of religious beliefs and practices over time, as those that are more adaptive are more likely to be passed down through generations.

What are some criticisms of the idea that religion is a product of evolution?

One criticism is that the evidence for the evolutionary origins of religion is largely circumstantial and does not prove a causal relationship. Additionally, some argue that religion serves a unique purpose in human society that cannot be explained solely through evolutionary mechanisms. Others argue that religion has evolved in response to cultural and social factors rather than solely through natural selection. Finally, there are also criticisms of the specific evolutionary theories proposed to explain the development of religion, such as the theory of memetics.

Can the evolution of religion be applied to all religions, or only certain ones?

The theory of evolution can potentially be applied to all religions, as it seeks to explain the development and diversity of all life forms, including human behavior and culture. However, as with any scientific theory, it is important to consider the limitations and nuances of applying it to complex human phenomena such as religion. Additionally, the specific mechanisms and processes proposed to explain the evolution of religion may not apply to all religions equally, as different religious traditions have unique origins and developments.

How does the idea of religion as a product of evolution impact our understanding of religion's role in society?

The concept of religion as a product of evolution can have significant implications for our understanding of religion's role in society. It may help explain why religion has been such a pervasive and influential aspect of human culture, and why it continues to persist in modern societies. Additionally, understanding the evolutionary origins of religion can also shed light on the potential adaptive functions and consequences of religious beliefs and practices, both at an individual and societal level.