Low Temperature Expansion of Chemical Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a low temperature series expansion for the chemical potential of a weakly interacting Fermi gas using the Fermi-Dirac distribution function and the Hartree-Fock approximation. The potential is assumed to depend only on the momentum transfer and the F-D distribution is approximated with the non-interacting one. The resulting chemical potential is a function of temperature and includes terms involving the potential and the Fermi wave vector. The zero temperature limit is also discussed. Assistance or references for this problem are requested.
QuasiParticle
I'm trying to derive a low temperature series expansion for the chemical potential of a weakly interacting Fermi gas. The starting point is, of course, the Fermi-Dirac distribution function (p is the particle momentum):

[tex]
f(p) = \frac{1}{e^{\beta(\epsilon(p) - \mu)}+1} ,
[/tex]

where, in the Hartree-Fock approximation, we have

[tex]
\epsilon(p) = \frac{p^2}{2m} + n V(0) - \frac{1}{(2\pi \hbar)^3} \int d^3p' V(\textbf{p} - \textbf{p}' ) f(p').
[/tex]

Here, [tex]m[/tex] is the effective mass, [tex]n[/tex] is the particle density, [tex]V(0)[/tex] is the interaction potential [tex]V(q)[/tex] at zero momentum transfer. The potential may be assumed to depend only on the momentum transfer [tex]V(\textbf{p} - \textbf{p}' ) = V(| \textbf{p} - \textbf{p}' | ) = V(q)[/tex]. The F-D distribution [tex]f(p')[/tex] in the exchange term may be approximated with the non-interacting one. The chemical potential is determined by the condition (spin-1/2):

[tex]
n = \frac{2}{(2\pi \hbar)^3} \int d^3p f(p) = \frac{1}{\pi^2 \hbar^3} \int_0^\infty p^2 f(p) dp
[/tex]

Now, the right-hand side should somehow be expanded as a series in [tex]( k_B T/ \mu)^2[/tex], which can then be inverted to give [tex]\mu[/tex] as a function of [tex]T[/tex]. It seems that the Sommerfeld method used for a non-interacting system is not easy to use in this case. I know the result should be the following:

[tex]
\mu (T) = \mu_F (T) + n V(0) - \frac{1}{2} n \left[ F + G \frac{\pi^2}{12} \left( \frac{T}{T_F} \right)^2 \right] ,
[/tex]

where
[tex]
F = \frac{3}{2 k_F^3} \int_0^{2 k_F} k^2 \left( 1 - \frac{k}{2 k_F} \right) V(k) dk .
[/tex]
and
[tex]
G = 3 \left( V(2 k_F) - \frac{1}{4} \int_0^{2 k_F} \frac{k^3}{k_F^4} V(k) dk \right) .
[/tex]

The potential is now written as a function of the Fermi wave vector ([tex]p = \hbar k[/tex]). [tex]\mu_F (T)[/tex] is the chemical potential of a non-interacting Fermi gas. The zero temperature limit, i.e. [tex]F[/tex], is rather simple to derive.

Has anyone come across this problem or know any good references? I would really appreciate any assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I could update this thread a little bit. I was able to derive the requested expansion somewhat after posting the above message. My approach was, however, slightly different. The result also had an extra term and reads:

[tex]
G = 3 \left( V(2 k_F) + \frac{1}{4} \int_0^{2 k_F} \left( \frac{k}{k_F^2} - \frac{3}{2} \frac{k^3}{k_F^4} \right) V(k) dk \right) .
[/tex]

The reason for this small discrepancy is unclear. By comparing the two results to numerical calculations using the exact equations, I find that my [tex]G[/tex] is a better approximation.

Thank you for sharing your work on deriving a low temperature series expansion for the chemical potential of a weakly interacting Fermi gas. This is a complex and important problem in the field of condensed matter physics. I am not an expert in this specific area, but I can provide some general insights and suggestions.

Firstly, it is important to note that the Fermi-Dirac distribution function and the Hartree-Fock approximation are commonly used in many-body systems, and your approach seems reasonable. The use of an exchange term with a non-interacting distribution is also a common approximation in these types of calculations.

Regarding your question about expanding the integral as a series in (k_B T/\mu)^2, this is known as a Sommerfeld expansion and is a common technique in the study of Fermi gases. However, as you have mentioned, this method may not be straightforward for interacting systems. Some possible approaches you can consider are perturbation theory or using a diagrammatic technique such as the Feynman diagrams.

I am not aware of any specific references for this particular problem, but some relevant texts that may be helpful are "Quantum Theory of Many-Particle Systems" by Fetter and Walecka and "Methods of Quantum Field Theory in Statistical Physics" by Abrikosov, Gorkov, and Dzyaloshinski. These texts cover many-body systems and perturbation theory, respectively.

Additionally, you may want to consult with colleagues or experts in the field for guidance and potential collaborations. It is always beneficial to have discussions with others who are familiar with the problem and can offer different perspectives and insights.

Overall, your work on deriving the low temperature expansion for the chemical potential of a weakly interacting Fermi gas is a valuable contribution to the field. I wish you the best of luck in your future research.

1. What is the "Low Temperature Expansion of Chemical Potential"?

The low temperature expansion of chemical potential is a thermodynamic concept that describes the change in chemical potential of a substance as temperature decreases. It is used to analyze the behavior of substances at extremely low temperatures, typically approaching absolute zero.

2. Why is the low temperature expansion of chemical potential important?

This concept is important because it helps scientists understand how substances behave at very low temperatures, which can have important implications in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and physics. It also allows for the calculation of various thermodynamic properties of substances at low temperatures.

3. How is the low temperature expansion of chemical potential calculated?

The low temperature expansion of chemical potential is calculated using a series expansion, where the chemical potential is expressed as a polynomial function of temperature. This allows for the calculation of the chemical potential at very low temperatures, where the traditional equations may not be accurate.

4. What factors affect the low temperature expansion of chemical potential?

The low temperature expansion of chemical potential is affected by several factors, including the type of substance, its molecular structure, and the intermolecular forces present. Additionally, the temperature range being analyzed and the accuracy of the data used can also impact the results.

5. How is the low temperature expansion of chemical potential used in research?

The low temperature expansion of chemical potential is used in various research fields, including materials science, to understand the properties of substances at extremely low temperatures. It is also used in the development of new materials and in studies of phase transitions and other thermodynamic phenomena.