What is the extension of the Unique Factorization Theorem to Gaussian Integers?

In summary, the Unique Factorization Theorem (UFT) extends to Gaussian Integers (GI) by stating that the representation of a GI as a product of primes is unique up to the order of factors and the presence of units. However, this does not hold for all Gaussian integers, as some may have distinct factorizations. This is in contrast to rational integers, where the UFT holds for all nonzero integers. Additionally, in Gaussian integers, the factorization may include more elements, such as 1, i, -1, and -i. While most Z[sqrt(n)] do not have unique factorization, the Gaussian integers are a Euclidean domain and a UFD.
huba
I am not sure I fully understand the extension of the Unique Factorization Theorem (UFT) to Gaussian Integers (GI), by saying that the representation of a GI as a product of primes is unique except for the order of factors and the presence of units.

Is there a similar problem when the UFT is extended to integers?
For example, -6 can be represented as -2*3 or 2*-3 or -1*2*3, or -1*-2*-3.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am very confused by your question! The "Unique Factorization Theorem" extended to Gaussian integers? The "Unique Factorization Theorem" does not hold for the Gaussian integers: there exist distinct factorizations of some Gaussian integers. I can't think of an example offhand but I don't think it is terribly difficult.

I was reading W.J. LeVeque's Elementary Theory of Numbers. Theorem 6-8 says what I said.

A nonzero (rational) integer has a unique factorization up to order and the presence of units (1 and -1).

Gaussian integers similarly have unique factorization up to order and units (1, i, -1, -i). Gaussian integers factor 'further' then rational integers, though: 2 is a prime rational integer, but 2 = (1 + i)(1 - i) in the Gaussian integers.

Most Z[sqrt(n)] do not have unique factorization, though.

HallsofIvy said:
I am very confused by your question! The "Unique Factorization Theorem" extended to Gaussian integers? The "Unique Factorization Theorem" does not hold for the Gaussian integers: there exist distinct factorizations of some Gaussian integers. I can't think of an example offhand but I don't think it is terribly difficult.

Eh?? The Gaussian integers are a Euclidean domain, so of course they're a ufd

LukeD said:
Eh??

Hush, Halls was thinking of [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}][/itex].

What is the Unique Factorization Theorem?

The Unique Factorization Theorem, also known as the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, states that every positive integer greater than 1 can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers.

Why is the Unique Factorization Theorem important?

The Unique Factorization Theorem is important because it allows us to break down any positive integer into its prime factors, which is useful in many mathematical calculations and proofs. It also helps us understand the structure of numbers and their relationships.

What is the difference between prime factorization and unique factorization?

Prime factorization is the process of breaking down a number into its prime factors, while unique factorization is the concept that every number has a unique set of prime factors. This means that even if two numbers have the same prime factors, they may have a different arrangement of those factors, making them unique.

How do you use the Unique Factorization Theorem to find the prime factorization of a number?

To find the prime factorization of a number using the Unique Factorization Theorem, you start by finding the smallest prime factor of the number and dividing the number by that factor. Then, you continue dividing the resulting number by its smallest prime factor until the quotient is 1. The prime factors that you used in this process will be the prime factorization of the original number.

Can the Unique Factorization Theorem be applied to all types of numbers?

The Unique Factorization Theorem can be applied to all types of positive integers greater than 1, including composite numbers, square numbers, and cube numbers. However, it does not apply to negative numbers, fractions, or decimals.