How is fat metabolized and related to insulin?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Evilinside
  • Start date
  • Tags
    insulin
In summary, the conversation discussed the individual's struggle with weight gain and their suspicions of having type II diabetes. However, after monitoring their blood sugar levels, it was determined that they were not diabetic. The individual then tried increasing their fat intake, but still did not see any weight gain. They also had concerns about the role of insulin in the storage and metabolism of fat in the bloodstream. The conversation ends with a disclaimer that this is not a professional diagnosis and suggests visiting a doctor for further concerns.
Evilinside
I'm what you would, in the bodybuilding world, call a hardgainer. No matter what I do I can't gain weight. I used to eat lots of carbs on a 4000 Calorie diet and nothing happened as far as weight gain. I would just get frequent urination and a fruitish odor in the back of my mouth and would occasionally go through periods of fatigue and tiredness directly after a meal, even if it wasn't loaded with carbs. This lead me to believe i might have type II diabetes. So, I bought blood a sugar monitor, and my blood sugar is always normal. Even after very high sugar meal, it was only 155 mg/dl, and went down to normal levels after about 2 hrs. Which lead me to that believe that maybe I have frequent urination because my body cannot produce enough enyzmes in time and begins to waste it. However, either way I then tried to increase the fat in my diet and still nothing. Now, since my symptoms are so close to that of type 2 diabietes, I'm wondering if my body cannot metabolize the fat due lack of insulin like Carbohydrates. I know that fats are emulsified and broken down and then absorbed into the bloodstream, but then what. I can't seem any info on what exactly happens after this point and how insulin is related to the storage and metabolization of fat in the bloodstream. Can anyone help with this?

Biology news on Phys.org
Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor so this is not a professional diagnosis.

Fatigue and tiredness after a meal is actually a sign that you are not diabetic at all. When consuming a meal, digestion of food releases sugars into the blood. Because blood sugar levels rise, the pancreas releases of insulin to promote the uptake and storage of these sugars. However, the body often overshoots the amount of insulin needed, so blood sugar levels will drop below the normal levels, leading to what most people call "food coma."

Also, AFAIK, insulin is not related to the uptake and metabolism of fats.

Metabolic acidosis, that fruity smell, can also come from simple dehydration. Always play it safe and visit your doctor with problems like this.

1. How does the body use insulin to metabolize fat?

Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas that helps regulate the levels of sugar in the blood. When insulin is released, it signals the body's cells to absorb glucose from the bloodstream for energy. It also promotes the storage of excess glucose as glycogen in the liver and muscles. When glycogen stores are full, insulin triggers the conversion of excess glucose into fat for storage.

2. What is the connection between insulin and fat metabolism?

Insulin plays a crucial role in fat metabolism by regulating the storage and breakdown of fat in the body. When insulin levels are high, fat storage is promoted, and fat breakdown is inhibited. On the other hand, low insulin levels signal the body to break down fat for energy.

3. Can insulin resistance affect fat metabolism?

Yes, insulin resistance, which occurs when cells become less responsive to insulin, can have a significant impact on fat metabolism. When cells are insulin resistant, the body compensates by producing more insulin, which can lead to increased fat storage. It can also hinder the breakdown of stored fat, making it more difficult for the body to use fat for energy.

4. How does exercise impact insulin and fat metabolism?

Regular exercise can improve insulin sensitivity, allowing the body to use insulin more efficiently. It can also promote the breakdown of stored fat for energy and increase the number of mitochondria (the cells' energy factories) in the muscles, which can boost fat metabolism. Additionally, exercise can help reduce overall body fat, which can improve insulin sensitivity and reduce the risk of insulin resistance.

5. Are there any dietary factors that can affect insulin and fat metabolism?

Yes, certain dietary factors can impact insulin and fat metabolism. A diet high in refined carbohydrates and added sugars can cause spikes in insulin levels, leading to increased fat storage. On the other hand, a diet high in fiber, healthy fats, and lean proteins can help regulate insulin levels and promote fat breakdown. Additionally, consuming excessive calories can also contribute to insulin resistance and hinder fat metabolism.