How to create small prototype of Vertical Wind Tunnel?

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on how to create a small prototype of a Vertical Wind Tunnel for educational purposes. The diameter of the prototype will be 10-15 inches and a vacuum motor will be used to provide pressure to lift objects. They are looking for resources on the physics laws and calculations needed for the design, such as aerodynamics and thermodynamics. Some recommended resources include the NASA website and books on wind tunnels and aerodynamics. They also suggest familiarizing oneself with vacuum technology for the design of the vacuum motor.
Donny
Hello experts!

I'm from one of the university in Asia and I'm planning to create a small prototype of Vertical Wind Tunnel for education purpose for my university.
I don't know from where I should start the project. This small prototype will not bigger than 10-15 inches for the diameter and I'm planning to use a vacuum motor to give pressure to the tube to lift up the object.

Anybody knows where can I find a guide (a small guide is still be okay) to start this project?
And also the basic calculations of physic's law (what kind of physic's law is neede, what kind of calculations are needed and what is the way to solve it) to the design (just a simple calculations and sample design will be okay).Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Donny

p.s: I know that there are already same thread about wind tunnel, but in this thread I just want to create a small prototype of it and the most important thing is I want to know all physic's law related to Vertical Wind Tunnel(maybe aerodynamics, friction law, etc) that are needed to make calculations so that this prototype can run smoothly.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are a few resources you can use to learn more about vertical wind tunnels and their design requirements. The first is the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) website, which has a wealth of information on wind tunnels and related topics. Additionally, there are many books available on the topic, such as Wind Tunnels of NASA by David E. Fisher, which provide detailed explanations of the physics behind the design and operation of wind tunnels.You will also need to understand the basic principles of aerodynamics, as well as the equations associated with air flow and pressure. You can find these equations in any introductory textbook on aerodynamics. Additionally, you should study the relevant laws of thermodynamics, since this will help you understand the relationships between pressure and temperature.Finally, you should familiarize yourself with the basics of vacuum technology, as this will be important for the design of the vacuum motor used in your prototype. Once you have the necessary theoretical understanding of the concepts involved, you can then move on to the practical aspects of designing and constructing the prototype.

1. What materials are needed to create a small prototype of a Vertical Wind Tunnel?

The materials needed for a small prototype of a Vertical Wind Tunnel include a fan, a cylindrical tube, a power source, a speed controller, and various construction materials such as wood or PVC pipes.

2. What is the ideal size for a small prototype of a Vertical Wind Tunnel?

The ideal size for a small prototype of a Vertical Wind Tunnel would be approximately 2-3 feet in diameter and 6-8 feet in height. This size allows for enough space for the wind to circulate and for testing of small-scale objects.

3. How does a Vertical Wind Tunnel work?

A Vertical Wind Tunnel works by using a powerful fan to create upward air flow through a cylindrical tube. The air flow is then directed back down through the sides of the tunnel, creating a continuous circular wind pattern. This allows objects placed in the tunnel to experience wind forces similar to those in the natural environment.

4. What are the benefits of creating a small prototype of a Vertical Wind Tunnel?

Creating a small prototype of a Vertical Wind Tunnel allows for testing and experimentation with aerodynamics in a controlled and safe environment. It can also be used to test and improve the design of small-scale objects, such as model airplanes or drones.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when creating a small prototype of a Vertical Wind Tunnel?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when creating a small prototype of a Vertical Wind Tunnel. These include ensuring proper ventilation and safety measures for the fan and power source. It is also important to carefully follow construction instructions and use appropriate materials to prevent any accidents or injuries.