Elements of Subgroups in Additive Group Q/Z: G(2) and G(P)

In summary, the question is about the elements of the subgroup G(2) and G(P) of the additive group Q/Z, where G(n) is defined as the set of all elements in G with an order that is a multiple of n. The conversation discusses the properties of Q/Z and the finite order of its elements, and suggests to understand the group operation and concept of order in order to solve the question.
Thorn
The question:

If G is the additive group Q/Z, what are the elements of the subgroup G(2)? Of G(P) for any positive prime P?

Where G(n)={a e G| |a| = n^(k) for some k is greater than or equal to 0}...That is the set of all a in G, s.t. the order of a is some power of n. (But since it is the additive group, I suppose it would just a be a multiple of n)

How do I even begin with this? Aren't the elements of Q/Z sets? The collections of right cosets? and don't they have infinite order?...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thorn said:
(But since it is the additive group, I suppose it would just a be a multiple of n)
I don't see why you would suppose that. The additive notation has no bearing on this matter.

Aren't the elements of Q/Z sets? The collections of right cosets?
Sure.

and don't they have infinite order?...
No. Take an element r+Z in Q/Z. What does it mean for n(r+Z) to be the zero element of Q/Z? If you can answer this correctly, then you can easily deduce that all the elements of Q/Z have finite order.

How do I even begin with this?
My suggestion is to actually think about what Q/Z is, as a group. Make sure you understand how the group operation works, and what order means in this setting.

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, and their properties. It is a highly abstract and theoretical field that deals with mathematical concepts and structures rather than specific numbers or equations.

2. What is the difference between Q and Z in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, Q (pronounced "cue") refers to the set of rational numbers, which are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. Z (pronounced "zee") refers to the set of integers, which includes both positive and negative whole numbers and zero.

3. How are operations defined in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, operations, such as addition and multiplication, are defined based on the properties of the algebraic structure being studied. For example, in a group, the operation of addition is defined as a binary operation that is associative, has an identity element, and every element has an inverse.

4. What is the significance of the field of abstract algebra in other areas of mathematics?

Abstract algebra has many applications in other areas of mathematics, including number theory, geometry, and topology. It provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving complex mathematical problems, and its concepts and structures are used extensively in advanced mathematics courses.

5. Is abstract algebra difficult to learn?

Abstract algebra can be challenging for students who are used to working with concrete numbers and equations. However, with patience and practice, it can be a rewarding and fascinating field to study. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and mathematical reasoning before delving into abstract algebra.