Contact force, EM force and the loop

In summary: Maxwell's equations provide a framework for describing contact forces, and these equations can be used to calculate the forces between two bodies. However, the equations are not exact, and they often give inaccurate results. Additionally, contact forces can also be mediated by other forces, such as the gravitational force.
Saw
Gold Member
The maximum I have found about contact force is very roughly this: it is nothing but electromagnetic force, meaning that, if two bodies collide, the electrons of the atoms of the outer shell of each body repel each other, those atoms displace towards their neighbours and repel them in turn, thus creating a sort of wave. My reflection is: if in the end, following Newton's Second Law, the body with more mass must get accelerated less and the body with less mass is to be accelerated more, this must be because the "waves" reach everywhere in each body, come back and come with information about how much mass the body has, so that the final result in terms of acceleration would depend on the relative difference between the two masses... But, if this speculation is close to the truth, why does the wave bounce back at all, if it does, and why does this process end at some time, having as outcome the acceleration of the bodies, and not continue in a loop of endless oscillation...?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, as I did not get any answer, I have started to correct my own question. There may not exist any need for the wave coming back. If body A has just one atom, the latter gets repelled with a given acceleration and that is it. If body B has a number of atoms, then its acceleration is opposed by the electrons of such atoms... (?). But surely there is no need for my speculations, since there must exist a standard scientifically recognised answer for the question. Can anyone help? Thanks.

'contact forces', meaning a description of what happens when two bodies 'touch', is a concept from continuum mechanics. Although at the atomic level, contact forces arise from electrostatic repulsion, there is not yet a complete theory for contact forces- i.e. how stress and strain is transmitted from one body to another.

Note that this does not preclude modeling the process numerically; this requires constitutive relations that come from experiments.

1. What is contact force?

Contact force is a type of force that occurs when two objects physically touch each other. This type of force can either be a push or a pull, and it is responsible for the interaction between objects in contact.

2. How does the electromagnetic force work?

The electromagnetic force is responsible for the interaction between charged particles. It is a fundamental force that can either attract or repel particles based on their charges. This force is carried by particles called photons, which are exchanged between charged particles.

3. What is the difference between contact force and electromagnetic force?

The main difference between contact force and electromagnetic force is that contact force only occurs when two objects are physically touching each other, while electromagnetic force can act between objects without them being in direct contact. Additionally, contact force is a result of mechanical interactions, while electromagnetic force is a result of interactions between charged particles.

4. How does the loop play a role in the interaction between contact force and electromagnetic force?

The loop, or more specifically, the circular motion of charged particles, plays a crucial role in the interaction between contact force and electromagnetic force. When a charged particle moves in a circular path, it creates a magnetic field, which then interacts with other charged particles to create the electromagnetic force. Additionally, the loop also plays a role in the conversion of electrical energy into mechanical energy, and vice versa.

5. Can the strength of contact force and electromagnetic force be measured?

Yes, both contact force and electromagnetic force can be measured using a force meter or a scale. The strength of contact force depends on the materials, surface area, and applied pressure between the objects, while the strength of electromagnetic force depends on the charges and distance between the particles.