What Happens When a Dirtbike Jumps off a Moving Train?

• Thread starter david91
  • Start date
In summary: I was just talking about relative velocities.jumping off a FAST objectif the train is going faster than the bike, so the jumper needs to do a 180 in midair and lands on the ground chasing the trainInteresting concept, that made me smile...If this is the inevitable future of Freestyle Motorcross stunts I'll be damn happy. They already have such great senses to things like rotation and velocity, it's actually quite beautiful to watch. It would be wildly pleasing to see such a vast inprovement in skill due to the knowledge and reliability of such physics because it's sports like these that I feel show the absolute peak of human ability. Certain things are only possible if you risk
david91
i wondered what would happen if you took f.eks. your dirtbike on top of a moving train, drove against the rear end of the train (backwards), and made sure you had 0 velocity compared to the ground. if the train is moving north at 12m/s and you are moving south at 12m/s, will your dirtbike "stand still" when you jump/fall of the train?

Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly. You would fall straight down, just as if someone had simply dropped you from "train-height" (not recommended).

thank you!

I'd stock up on the Preparation H first...

An intrepid young student named Raleigh
Deserted a fast moving traleigh
To discover a flaw
In Newton's first law
but his efforts were faleigh, by galeigh.

:rofl:

Archosaur said:
Exactly. You would fall straight down, just as if someone had simply dropped you from "train-height" (not recommended).

Your wheels however would still be spinning at 12 m/s. You'd fall straight down but immediately lurch forward.

Was that a dig?!

Not in the least. A lurch backwards, maybe.

skeptic2 said:
Your wheels however would still be spinning at 12 m/s. You'd fall straight down but immediately lurch forward.

Also, your front wheel would start falling first, because it would come off the train first, and so the bike would also rotate slowly, back-over-front. :smile:

skeptic2 and tiny-tim are both right, of course.

I was just talking about relative velocities.

jumping off a FAST object

tiny-tim said:
your front wheel would start falling first, because it would come off the train first
Not if the rider leans back at that point. What would really be neat is if the train is going faster than the bike, so the jumper needs to do a 180 in midair and lands on the ground chasing the train :smile:

Interesting concept, that made me smile...

If this is the inevitable future of Freestyle Motorcross stunts I'll be damn happy. They already have such great senses to things like rotation and velocity, it's actually quite beautiful to watch. It would be wildly pleasing to see such a vast inprovement in skill due to the knowledge and reliability of such physics because it's sports like these that I feel show the absolute peak of human ability. Certain things are only possible if you risk your life and it's amazing to see that these guys can do them.

Please enjoy, for the physics. Calculation at it's best...

Last edited by a moderator:
skeptic2 said:
You would not lurch. The wheels have too little momentum to cause any appreciable lurch.

Also, your front wheel would start falling first, because it would come off the train first, and so the bike would also rotate slowly, back-over-front.
I think a cyclist would be quite hard-pressed to not automatically compensate for this.

1. What factors affect the distance and trajectory when jumping off a moving object?

The distance and trajectory when jumping off a moving object are affected by several factors, including the speed of the object, the height of the jump, the angle at which the jump is made, and air resistance. These factors all play a role in determining how far the jump will take you and in what direction.

2. Is it dangerous to jump off a moving object?

Jumping off a moving object can be dangerous, especially if the object is moving at a high speed or if the jump is not executed properly. There is a risk of injury from falling or colliding with the object or other objects in the environment. It is important to carefully assess the situation and take proper precautions before attempting to jump off a moving object.

3. How can one safely jump off a moving object?

To safely jump off a moving object, it is important to have proper training and experience in jumping techniques. It is also important to assess the speed and trajectory of the object and choose a safe landing spot. Using protective gear, such as a helmet and pads, can also help reduce the risk of injury.

4. What are the benefits of jumping off a moving object?

Jumping off a moving object can provide a rush of adrenaline and a sense of excitement. It can also improve coordination, balance, and agility. Additionally, jumping off a moving object can be a fun and challenging activity for those who enjoy adventure and physical activity.

5. Can jumping off a moving object be used in scientific experiments?

Yes, jumping off a moving object can be used in scientific experiments to study motion, gravity, and other physical principles. It can also be used to test the effects of different variables, such as speed and angle, on the jump. However, proper safety measures should be taken and ethical guidelines should be followed when conducting such experiments.