The Four Temperaments: Is san-mel possible?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Eus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the outdated concept of the four temperaments in modern psychology and questions whether it is possible for a person to have a blend of sanguine and melancholic temperaments. The experts in the conversation suggest looking into more recent concepts accepted by modern psychology scholars, such as neuroscience and the DSM IV, and recommend reading about personality psychology for a better understanding of the topic.
Eus
Hi Ho!

Referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Temperaments under "Temperament Blends", I would like to discuss whether it is possible for a person to have a blend of sanguine and melancholic at the same time.

AFAIK, a sanguine tends to be sloppy while a melancholic tends to be perfectionist. How then can one person be sloppy and neat at the same time?

If I am not in the right forum to discuss this, please give me a pointer to a better one. Thanks.

Eus

Biology news on Phys.org
Such concepts as the four temperaments are VERY outdated. Modern psychology would only teach them from an historical perspective to show how far we've come since then, not because there is any validity to the ideas.

Um.. original poster - you're joking, right? This is like asking an alchemy question under 'chemistry'.

Hi Ho!

Moonbear:
What is the most recent concept accepted among modern psychology scholars?

alxm:
No, I'm not joking. I am not a psychology guy and trying to find the truth out :-)
"alchemy" under "chemistry"? I didn't realize that it is the situation. In that case, what is the right concept?

No offense, but I'd like to be sure of this: you guys are modern psychology scholars, aren't you? I just want to be sure that it is not the blind leading another blind.

Thanks for helping :-)

Eus

Nowadays, we explain most behavior through neuroscience (or strive to). Accepted psychiatric disorders are defined in the DSM IV, which is a rather large volume. And, yes, the four temperaments is along the lines of alchemy in terms of how completely outdated it is.

Eus,
We here are not all psycology scholars. Look for a modern introductory psychology textbook. As other members have commented, psychology today has advanced from what it was 50 years ago. I would best guess that psychology textbooks from the 1950's would have nearly nothing to say about Autism or Asperger's Syndrome, or the Silicon Valley effect (frequency of Autism spectrum resulting individuals in the Silicon Valley area).

Personality psychology is still an active area of study. There are quite a few theories you can read about here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_psychology

I am inclined to agree with the others that the Four Temperament theory is archaic, but good to know about to understand historical foundations of this branch of psychology.

(I have a psych degree, but only a BS, and in the cognitive area. :smile:)

1. What are the four temperaments?

The four temperaments are a theory of personality classification that dates back to ancient Greece. They include choleric, melancholic, sanguine, and phlegmatic.

2. What is san-mel and is it possible?

San-mel refers to a combination of the melancholic and sanguine temperaments. It is possible for individuals to exhibit traits of both temperaments, but it is not a recognized temperament in the traditional theory.

3. Can a person have more than one dominant temperament?

Yes, it is possible for a person to have a dominant temperament in addition to exhibiting traits of other temperaments. This can result in a combination of temperaments, such as sanguine-melancholic or choleric-phlegmatic.

4. Are the four temperaments still relevant in modern psychology?

The four temperaments theory is still considered relevant in modern psychology, as it provides a basic understanding of personality traits and can be used as a framework for understanding behavior. However, it is not considered a comprehensive or scientifically validated personality theory.

5. Can temperaments change over time?

While temperaments are believed to be relatively stable throughout a person's life, they can change in response to life experiences, personal growth, and other factors. It is also possible for a person to exhibit different temperaments in different situations.