Raising and lowering operators & commutation

In summary, the commutation relation states that the order of operations (or "commutativity") is preserved in operators that commute.
Werbel22

Homework Statement

Show [a+,a-] = -1,

Where a+ = 1/((2)^0.5)(X-iP)
and a- = 1/((2)^0.5)(X+iP)

and

X = ((mw/hbar)^0.5)x

P = (-i(hbar/mw)^0.5)(d/dx)2. The attempt at a solution

It would take forever to write it all up, but in summary:

I said:

[a+,a-] = (a+a- - a-a+)

then subbed in equations to finally get:

-((hbar/mw)^0.5)(d/dx)((mw/hbar)^0.5)x +((hbar/mw)^0.5)(d/dx)((mw/hbar)^0.5)xwhich cancels out to zero, I don't get why! I made sure I did them in the right order, is there something I'm missing? Is it not just a matter of subbing these formulae in?

I put lambda as the wavefunction in when I was doing it on paper, so that the (d/dx) had something to operate on, but it didn't seem to help as it still gives zero.

Please help, I'm really stuck as to what to do :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignoring the constant factors you'll have something like have
[a+,a-] = [x - ip, x+ip] = [x,x] + [x,ip] - i[p,x] + [p,p] = i[x,p] - i[p,x] = 2i[x,p]

Now what is [x,p] ?

[X,P] = xp - px ?

When I sub in the equations for those now, I get zero for [x,p], which gives zero for [a+,a-].

I got down to:

[x,p] = (-i(d/dx)(x)) - (-i(d/dx))x
= -i + i = 0

:S I don't get why I can't get the answer.

Also, how did you compute [a+,a-]? Remember, operators do not normally commute, so you must be careful about what you switch around. Also, you typically can't determine a commutation rule without having a "test function" for your operators to act on. d/dx makes no sense by itself unless it acts on something for example.

Yeah, but I thought in the example d/dx was operating on x, just to give 1. When I put it in, in my original post, it didn't make a difference.

I know operators don't commute, but when I sub IN the actual operator (say into xp - px) it isn't an operator anymore, it's just some variables/constants, so I have just numbers and don't get how THEY can't commute :S

You really need to be more careful with this.
Consider xp operating on f(x). This is x * -ih d/dx f(x) = -ih x * f ' (x)
Now consider px operating on f(x). This is -ih * d/dx (x f(x)) = -ih (f(x) + x*f '(x)) (by the product rule)

I'm still stuck. I understand that last post, and it has helped.

But regardless if I take that into account, I don't see how having a f'(x) helps me, I tried doing it that way, and seeing I end up with a combination of f(x) and f'(x) in my final answer I don't see how that will give 1 :(

Well if you understand the last post, you should be able to calculate [x,p]. The "f" is a test function, and should not be included in the final commutator.

[tex][x,p]\psi = xp\psi - px\psi[/tex]
[tex][x,p]\psi = -i\hbar x\psi'(x) - ( -i\hbar x\Psi'(x) -i\hbar\psi(x))[/tex]
[tex][x,p]\psi = i\hbar\psi(x)[/tex]

Which means that, after "factoring out" the test function,
[tex][x,p] = i\hbar[/tex]
This is known as the canonical commutation relation, and is one of the most important equations in quantum mechanics, if not the most. Don't forget it!

Now remember in the first post I showed that
[tex]
[a^+, a^-] \sim [x, p] [/tex]
up to some constant. I hope you'll be able to see why getting 1 as the answer is plausible.

What are raising and lowering operators?

Raising and lowering operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of quantum systems. They are used to change the quantum state of a system by either increasing or decreasing its energy level.

How do raising and lowering operators work?

Raising and lowering operators are defined as Hermitian conjugates of each other. In simple terms, the raising operator increases the energy of a quantum state by one unit, while the lowering operator decreases it by one unit. They are also used to describe the commutation relation between two quantum operators.

What is the commutation relation?

The commutation relation describes the order in which two operators act on a quantum state. If the operators commute, it means that their order does not matter and they can be interchanged. If the operators do not commute, their order matters and they cannot be interchanged.

Why are raising and lowering operators important in quantum mechanics?

Raising and lowering operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics because they help us understand the behavior of quantum systems and describe their properties. They also allow us to calculate the energy levels of a system and predict its behavior.

How are raising and lowering operators used in practical applications?

Raising and lowering operators are used in various practical applications, such as quantum computing, quantum chemistry, and quantum optics. They help us manipulate and control quantum systems, leading to advancements in technology and scientific research.