Exploring the Role of Zero in Mathematics and Philosophy

In summary, the concept of the number zero is essential in the field of real numbers as it serves as the identity element of addition, meaning that when added to any other real number, it results in the same number. It is also used in the digital world, where it represents the absence of something, similar to how God represents the absence of meaning in the analog world. However, the concept of zero can be defined in various ways and it is difficult to understand its connection to the digital and analog worlds.
Maxwellkid
what exactly is the number zero?

I mean, the number 0 seems to negate the absence of meaning in the digital world just like God negates it in the analog world.

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whadda you mean?

In the field of real numbers zero is the identity element of addition.

can you elaborate on identity element of addition??

Identity element: 0 is the number such that a+0=a for all real numbers a. There are a bunch of other ways to define 0, but that's a good one. Since this is in the number theory section, a similar definition regarding natural numbers may be more appropriate. Regardless of choice though, it's hard to tell what your post about 'meaning in the digital world' and 'God in the analog world' have to do with 0

Maxwellkid said:
I mean, the number 0 seems to negate the absence of meaning in the digital world just like God negates it in the analog world.

??

zeros in a digital world are kind of essential when the digital world is comprised mainly of ones and zeros...

and i wouldn't go bringing god into anything. praise science.

How is the statement, "there are zero apples in a bowl" any less useful or less real than the statement, "there are four apples in a bowl" ?

fleem said:
How is the statement, "there are zero apples in a bowl" any less useful or less real than the statement, "there are four apples in a bowl" ?

Indeed, "The bowl contains zero apples" is also quite distinct from "The number of apples in the bowl is undefined".

Or let's make it more relevant.

You are on your way to bed after a campfire. Your friend stops and tells you one of two things:
"Your tent contains zero ravenous grizzlies."
"Your tent contains an undefined number of ravenous grizzlies."

The way I like to put things is that the concept of zero is so important that language has evolved to include specialized grammar to convey it.

DaveC426913 said:
"Your tent contains zero ravenous grizzlies."
"Your tent contains an undefined number of ravenous grizzlies."
And an engineer would want the tent to contain a negative number of grizzlies - just to give them a safety margin.

Did you hear the one about the ancient Greek mathematician, who was running down the street shouting:
"Eureka! Eureka! I've just discovered zero!"

His mate asks him: "What's that?"

The answer: "Oh... nothing."

a symbol that denies the absence of meaning...the meaning that's necessitated by the delineation of one system from another...in analog, that's god, and in digital..it's a zero.

this quote is from GHOST IN THE SHELL SAC episode 15 1st GIG.

mgb_phys said:
And an engineer would want the tent to contain a negative number of grizzlies - just to give them a safety margin.

thanks, that makes more sense than anything else...so far...

Maxwellkid said:
a symbol that denies the absence of meaning...the meaning that's necessitated by the delineation of one system from another...in analog, that's god, and in digital..it's a zero.

this quote is from GHOST IN THE SHELL SAC episode 15 1st GIG.

I don't know if I'd trust cartoon shows to teach me about math.

Office_Shredder said:
Identity element: 0 is the number such that a+0=a for all real numbers a. There are a bunch of other ways to define 0, but that's a good one. Since this is in the number theory section, a similar definition regarding natural numbers may be more appropriate. Regardless of choice though, it's hard to tell what your post about 'meaning in the digital world' and 'God in the analog world' have to do with 0

Precisely. One the money
cheers2.gif

1. What is the origin of the concept of zero?

The concept of zero is believed to have originated in ancient Mesopotamia around 3000 BC. It was later developed by the ancient Egyptians and Greeks, and eventually spread to other cultures.

2. How is zero represented in different number systems?

In the decimal system, zero is represented by the symbol "0". In binary, it is represented by "0" and in Roman numerals, it is represented by the absence of a symbol. Some cultures have also used a dot or a small circle to represent zero.

3. What is the significance of zero in mathematics?

The concept of zero is essential in mathematics as it serves as a placeholder and allows for the creation of the number system that we use today. It also plays a crucial role in mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

4. How did the concept of zero revolutionize mathematics?

The concept of zero revolutionized mathematics by allowing for the creation of the decimal system and making complex calculations and mathematical equations possible. It also paved the way for the development of algebra and calculus.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the concept of zero?

Yes, the concept of zero has numerous real-life applications, such as in accounting, measurements, and computer science. It is also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to represent values and solve equations.