QFT: Exploring Connected Diagrams & Single Sources

In summary, Srednicki's argument is that the sum over all connected diagrams with a single source is zero. This is true for any function that corresponds to the sum, including something corresponding to an arbitrary subdiagram.
PJK
hi all,

i have a question regarding page 81 in Srednicki's QFT book. He states there that the sum over all connected diagrams with a single source is zero. Then he says that if you replace this single source by an arbitrary subdiagram the sum will still be zero. Can somebody explain why this is true?

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression corresponding to the sum over all connected diagrams with a single source takes the form

[tex]\int d^4x\sum_i D_i(x)J(x),[/itex]

where [itex]D_i(x)[/itex] is everything in diagram [itex]i[/itex] except the source (and will in general include integrals over other coordinates labeling other points in the diagram). The value of [itex]Y[/itex] is adjusted to make this expression zero for any function [itex]J(x)[/itex]; that is, so that [itex]\sum_i D_i(x)=0[/itex]. So, we can replace [itex]J(x)[/itex] with any other expression, including something corresponding to some other arbitrary subdiagram.

Thank you very much! Sometimes I wished Srednicki would include one or two more sentences in his argumentation...

PJK said:
Thank you very much! Sometimes I wished Srednicki would include one or two more sentences in his argumentation...

me too, I have wrote down many things that I would like to give to him as suggestion for a 2nd edition :-)

I thought the 2nd edition of Srednicki was already out or about to be? I offered a few corrections and I think he said it was too late for the 2nd edition (or maybe he didn't say that and I just remember seeing that he changed the errata on his website and deleted all the corrections to the 1st edition).

I find Srednicki's book to be very good but there are some parts where you can feel he didn't feel like explaining something. Like how can you just integrate out a heavy field by substituting its classical solution back into the Lagrangian? For some reason you can ignore the source term (the current times the field) when you do this. But overall I think it's nice.

I know, it is like sometimes he explains that -(-1) = 1 but never the readl hard issues which has to do with QFT to do.

Maybe he meant the second PRINTING, I have the 3rd printing of the 1st edition.

I also have the feeling that in a lot of aspects Srednicki is very good, but there are still some explanations lacking. I'm now reading the book quite thoroughly, and some things are still not completely clear to me. I'm thinking about putting some things which were mystifying for me and which I nevertheless managed to find out after quite some work (like Malawi Glenn's question about exercise 2.2) in a TeX-file as some sort of supplement. Ofcourse, some hard work to get results isn't wrong, but if things are represented as easy and turn out to be hard, then it can be very time consuming. :)

1. What is QFT?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory. It is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. What are connected diagrams in QFT?

Connected diagrams are a graphical representation of mathematical equations used in QFT. They show the interactions between particles and allow for calculations of the probability amplitudes for those interactions to occur.

3. How are single sources used in QFT?

Single sources, also known as external sources, are used in QFT to describe the effects of external forces or fields on the particles. They are represented by a line in the connected diagrams.

4. What are the advantages of using connected diagrams in QFT?

Connected diagrams provide a visual representation of the complicated mathematical equations in QFT, making it easier to understand and calculate the interactions between particles. They also allow for the calculation of higher-order interactions, which would be extremely difficult to do without the use of diagrams.

5. How do connected diagrams in QFT relate to Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are a type of connected diagram used specifically in the study of particle interactions. They were developed by physicist Richard Feynman and are a powerful tool for visualizing and calculating the behavior of subatomic particles in QFT.