Question on margins of error with calculations.

In summary, the conversation discusses concerns about slight differences in calculations for limiting reagents and whether or not it would affect the marks given for the assignment. The person also mentions correcting the issue of rounding in their calculations.
Attraction

Homework Statement

I'm powering through some calculations on limiting reagents. My answers seem to be slightly off with the proper answers. I'm talking about minute differences but still differences all the same. The answer is very much well within the same ballpark. Would I lose some marks if my calculations weren't completely exact or is this small margin of error (and we are talking small here) allowed.

Thanks guys. I love you guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
The only person who could answer that is the person giving the marks! What you should be worrying about is why you are getting those "minute differences". Are you using numbers you are given or numbers measured in an experiment?

I was rounding up and down at times when I shouldn't have. Have corrected the problem!

Thanks.

1. What is a margin of error?

A margin of error is a measure of the amount of random sampling error in a survey's results. It indicates the level of accuracy and reliability of the data collected and represents the range of values that the true population parameter is likely to fall within.

2. How is the margin of error calculated?

The margin of error is calculated by taking the standard error of the sample and multiplying it by a critical value based on the desired level of confidence. The standard error is determined by the sample size and the population standard deviation or estimated standard deviation.

3. What does the margin of error represent?

The margin of error represents the potential difference between the sample results and the true population parameter. It is a measure of the uncertainty or variability in the survey's findings.

4. How does the sample size affect the margin of error?

The sample size has an inverse relationship with the margin of error. As the sample size increases, the margin of error decreases, indicating a more precise estimate of the population parameter. This is because larger sample sizes reduce the impact of random sampling error.

5. What is the significance of the confidence level in the margin of error?

The confidence level in the margin of error represents the probability that the true population parameter falls within the margin of error. For example, a 95% confidence level means that there is a 95% chance that the true population parameter falls within the calculated margin of error.