Spherical connection coefficients

In summary, there are 18 connection coefficients \Gamma_{ij}^{k} for spherical coordinates, with i, j, and k each having 3 different values. Some of these coefficients may turn out to be zero.
egreg
I have to determine the 18 connection coefficients [tex]\Gamma_{ij}^{k}[/tex] for spherical coordinates.

I know how to calculate said coefficients, but I'm not sure what all 18 are. Can anyone clarify what the possible combinations could be?

Physics news on Phys.org
egreg said:
I have to determine the 18 connection coefficients [tex]\Gamma_{ij}^{k}[/tex] for spherical coordinates.

I know how to calculate said coefficients, but I'm not sure what all 18 are. Can anyone clarify what the possible combinations could be?

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here. Are you asking for the answers to compare to or are you confused as to why there are only 18 coefficients?

Assuming the latter, there are actually [itex]3\times3\times3=27[/itex] coefficients since [itex]i[/itex], [itex]j[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex] each can have 3 different values (one for each coordinate)...its just that some of them turn out to be zero.

Last edited:
You interpreted my question correctly. Thank you for clearing that up! I'll work them out now and post my solutions.

1. What are spherical connection coefficients?

Spherical connection coefficients are mathematical coefficients used in the theory of spherical harmonics to describe the relationship between different spherical coordinate systems. They are also known as Gaunt coefficients or Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

2. How are spherical connection coefficients calculated?

Spherical connection coefficients can be calculated using various methods, including the Clebsch-Gordan recurrence relations, the Wigner 3-j symbol, and the Racah formula. These methods involve summing over different combinations of quantum numbers and applying specific mathematical operations.

3. What is the significance of spherical connection coefficients?

Spherical connection coefficients play a fundamental role in the study of spherical harmonics and are used in many physical and mathematical applications, such as quantum mechanics, molecular physics, and electromagnetic theory. They also have connections to group theory and representation theory.

4. How do spherical connection coefficients relate to spherical harmonics?

Spherical connection coefficients are closely related to spherical harmonics, as they are used to express spherical harmonics in terms of different coordinate systems. They also provide a way to transform between different sets of spherical harmonics, which are solutions to the Laplace equation in spherical coordinates.

5. Can spherical connection coefficients be negative?

Yes, spherical connection coefficients can be negative. This is because they represent a complex relationship between different spherical harmonics and can have both positive and negative values, depending on the specific quantum numbers involved.