Writing Simple Equations for Combining HCl with Elements from the Carbon Group

• Thread starter lifendeath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, the conversation is about a lab write up involving the combination of HCl with elements from the Carbon group. The main concern is expressing the reaction in equation form and determining the oxidation state of the carbon. The suggestion is to look up or calculate the oxidation state and write a balanced equation to determine the amount of HCl needed. It is also mentioned that carbon forms carbon tetrachloride as a common solvent.
lifendeath
I am doing the write up for one of my labs. In this write up we combined HCl with some of the elements from from the Carbon group (C, Si, Sn, Pb).

Naturally, my professor wants us to express what occurred in equation form. But I am not sure if I am doing it correctly... here is what I have so far:

C + 2HCl --> C(Cl)2 + H2

I didn't want to continue with the other 3 elements just in case I'm doing it wrong...So any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what oxidation state the carbon ended up in?
Did you weight the reactants to determine how much C an Cl are used or are you supposed to know this from the chemistry?

I would have though C would go to C Cl4

mgb_phys said:
Do you know what oxidation state the carbon ended up in?
Did you weight the reactants to determine how much C an Cl are used or are you supposed to know this from the chemistry?

I would have though C would go to C Cl4

Honestly put, this was a very basic lab. We simply dropped a small piece of solid Carbon into a beaker-full of HCl.

For the Pb would the equation be: 2HCl + Pb --> PbCl2 + H2 OR 4HCl + Pb --> PbCl4 + H4?

You need to look up (or you could calculate it - but this is rather more advanced) what the final oxidation state of the carbon (etc) is eg C 2+ or C 4+.
then you just need to write a balanced equation to work out how man HCl you need to add to get to that.

Carbon tetrachloride is a common solvent so carbon definitely forms C Cl4 - I don't know about the others.

ps. It wouldn't be 2H or 4H since Hydrogen forms a molecule of 2 atoms, it would be H2 or 2 H2

What is "Simple Equation Writing"?

"Simple Equation Writing" is a method used in mathematics and science to represent relationships between different variables or quantities using symbols and mathematical operations.

What are the basic steps of writing a simple equation?

The basic steps of writing a simple equation are identifying the variables, determining their relationship, choosing appropriate symbols and mathematical operations, and writing the equation in a clear and concise manner.

Why is it important to use simple equations in scientific research?

Simple equations allow scientists to express complex relationships between variables in a concise manner, making it easier to analyze and understand data. They also help to identify patterns and make predictions, which are crucial in scientific research.

Can simple equations be used in real-life applications?

Yes, simple equations have many real-life applications, such as in engineering, economics, and physics. They can be used to solve problems and make predictions in various fields.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing simple equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing simple equations include using incorrect symbols, not simplifying the equation, and not following the correct order of operations. It is also important to clearly define and label all variables and to check for typos or errors in calculations.