Reversible Heating and Cooling

In summary, the conversation is about finding the values of Delta U, Delta H, q, and w for the reversible heating of an ideal gas at constant P and the reversible cooling of an ideal gas at constant V. The values for work and heat are determined to be negative and positive, respectively, based on the equations w=-pex(deltaV) and q= positive. For the second problem, work is 0 due to the constant volume, and q is negative because heat is removed during cooling. The challenge is determining the value of delta H, which is enthalpy. By using the defining equation for enthalpy in terms of U, P, and V, it can be determined whether delta H is positive, negative,
12boone

Homework Statement

I have two problems.

What is Delta U, Delta H, q, and w for the Reversible heating of an ideal gas at constant P.

Also, what are these values for the Reversible cooling of an ideal gas at constant V.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first equation I decided that all values would be negative except for heat which is positive. I consider this because w=-pex(deltaV) and I decided q= positive because when u are heating somethign you add heat.

for the second problem I know work=0 because the system is at constant volume. Also, q=Delta U because Delta U=q+w. q is negative because soemthing that is cooling is removing heat. I can not figure out delta H.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome back to PF :smile:

Are you being asked to provide the expressions for ΔU, etc., in terms of P and V? Or just to state whether they are positive, negative, or zero?

For the first equation I decided that all values would be negative except for heat which is positive. I consider this because w=-pex(deltaV) and I decided q= positive because when u are heating somethign you add heat.
That's good reasoning on w and q. How did you figure out that U and H are negative?

for the second problem I know work=0 because the system is at constant volume. Also, q=Delta U because Delta U=q+w. q is negative because soemthing that is cooling is removing heat.
Looks good so far.
I can not figure out delta H.
What is the definition of H?

Also, the fact that it is an ideal gas might or might not come into play.

H is enthalpy. I just have to say whether or not the values of these will increase decrease or if they are zero in each case. I am really only concerned about the last two.

How is enthalpy H defined in terms of U, P, and V? You can use this defining equation to work out whether ΔH is +, -, or 0.

1. What is reversible heating and cooling?

Reversible heating and cooling is a process where a system can be heated or cooled by transferring heat in either direction, depending on the desired outcome. This is possible due to the use of reversible heating and cooling systems, such as heat pumps, which can switch between heating and cooling modes.

2. How does reversible heating and cooling work?

Reversible heating and cooling works by utilizing a refrigerant to transfer heat between the indoor and outdoor environments. In heating mode, the refrigerant absorbs heat from the outdoor air and releases it inside, while in cooling mode, it absorbs heat from inside and releases it outside. This process can be reversed by changing the direction of the refrigerant flow.

3. What are the benefits of using reversible heating and cooling?

One of the main benefits of reversible heating and cooling is its energy efficiency. By utilizing the heat from the outdoor air in heating mode, it can save on energy costs compared to traditional heating systems. It also provides both heating and cooling capabilities in one system, making it convenient and cost-effective.

4. Can reversible heating and cooling be used in any climate?

Reversible heating and cooling can be used in most climates, as long as the temperature does not drop below the system's minimum operating temperature. In extreme cold climates, a supplementary heating system may be needed to provide additional heat.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for reversible heating and cooling systems?

Like any heating and cooling system, reversible heating and cooling systems require regular maintenance to ensure optimal performance. This includes changing air filters, cleaning coils, and inspecting the system for any potential issues. It is recommended to have a professional HVAC technician perform annual maintenance on the system.