Srednicki 9.17, 9.18: Sum of Diagrams with Single Source Removed

• Thread starter kexue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Srednicki
In summary, the expression 9.17 represents the sum of all diagrams with a single source removed, as it is derived from the derivative of Z_1(J) with respect to J and setting all other factors of J to zero. The person speaking is an expert on Srednick's book due to their familiarity with the material from reading it when it was first posted on arxiv.org in 2004.
kexue
Why is the expression 9.17 the sum of all diagrams with a single source removed?

I thought diagrams stand for terms in double taylor expansion of Z_1(J).

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression in 9.17 is

[tex]{\delta\over\delta J(x)}Z_1(J)\Bigr|_{J=0}[/tex]

The derivative with respect to J removes one factor of J, and then all other factors of J are set to zero. So the only surviving diagrams are those that had just one J to begin with.

Thanks, Avodyne!

Actually, when I stared at it again this morning, I already figured it out by myself.

How come your such an expert on Srednick's book? Always when someone ask a question to his book, you give the answer right away. I remember you gave me great answers like one year back ago, which i have written as side notes in the book.

kexue said:
How come your such an expert on Srednick's book? Always when someone ask a question to his book, you give the answer right away. I remember you gave me great answers like one year back ago, which i have written as side notes in the book.
Srednicki had posted rough drafts of Spin Zero and Spin One Half at arxiv.org in 2004, and I thought they were much better than the existing textbooks, so by now I know the material pretty well.

1. What is the significance of studying Srednicki diagrams with a single source removed?

Studying Srednicki diagrams with a single source removed allows us to better understand the behavior and properties of quantum field theories. By removing a single source, we can investigate the effects of different interactions and better analyze the overall structure and dynamics of the system.

2. How does the sum of diagrams change when a single source is removed?

The sum of diagrams changes when a single source is removed because the removed source will no longer contribute to the overall result. This can lead to a different outcome for the system and can help us understand the role of individual sources in the overall behavior of the system.

3. Can the removal of a single source significantly impact the final result of the sum of diagrams?

Yes, the removal of a single source can significantly impact the final result of the sum of diagrams. This is because the contribution of a single source can have a large effect on the overall outcome, and its removal can change the dynamics of the system.

4. Are there any limitations to studying Srednicki diagrams with a single source removed?

There can be limitations to studying Srednicki diagrams with a single source removed. This approach may not be suitable for all quantum field theories, and the results may not be applicable to systems with a large number of sources. Additionally, the removal of a single source may not accurately reflect the behavior of the entire system.

5. How can the analysis of Srednicki diagrams with a single source removed contribute to our understanding of quantum field theories?

The analysis of Srednicki diagrams with a single source removed can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of quantum field theories. By isolating individual sources and studying their effects, we can gain a better understanding of the overall dynamics of the system and potentially identify new patterns or relationships between sources. This can ultimately contribute to the development of more accurate and comprehensive theories in the field of quantum physics.