Solve Eigenvector Problem: Find Eigenvalues & Eigenvectors

In summary, to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix, one can use the formula p(\lambda) = det(A - \lambda I) = 0, where A is the given matrix and I is the identity matrix. This formula will result in a polynomial equation, where the roots are the eigenvalues. To find the corresponding eigenvectors, one can use the formula A - \lambda I and solve for the variables in each row. The solutions will be the corresponding eigenvectors. However, it is important to note that the A - \lambda I matrix must be set up correctly, with the correct coefficients and the -\lambda term in the correct position.
geft

Homework Statement

Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of [tex] \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 3 & 4 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]p(\lambda) = det(A - \lambda I) = 0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]A - \lambda I = \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 2-\lambda & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 3-\lambda & 4 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

[tex]det(A - \lambda I) = (2 - \lambda)(-4) + 1 = 0[/tex]

[tex]-8 + 4 \lambda + 1 = 0[/tex]

[tex]4\lambda = 7[/tex]

[tex]\lambda = \frac{4}{7}[/tex]

[tex]A - \lambda I = \left( \begin{array}{ccc} \frac{1}{4} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{5}{7} & 4 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{4}x_1 = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{5}{4}x_2 + 4x_3 = 0[/tex]

Eigenvector = [tex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This should be in the Calculus and Beyond section.

For your formatting problems, use [ tex ] and [ /tex ] tags (without the extra spaces I put in, instead of the inline LaTeX tags, [ itex ], you used.

Thanks. Should I repost this in the other section?

As for the problem, in your [tex]A-\lambda I[/tex] matrix, you still have a [tex]-\lambda[/tex] in the 3rd row, 3rd column entry. It isn't simply 0.

Pengwuino said:
As for the problem, in your [tex]A-\lambda I[/tex] matrix, you still have a [tex]-\lambda[/tex] in the 3rd row, 3rd column entry. It isn't simply 0.

Oh, you're right. Thanks!

What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents the strength of a corresponding eigenvector in a linear transformation. It is determined by the eigenvalue equation Av = λv, where A is a square matrix, v is an eigenvector, and λ is an eigenvalue.

What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a nonzero vector that does not change direction when multiplied by a square matrix. It is associated with a corresponding eigenvalue and represents the direction of the linear transformation.

How do you find eigenvalues?

To find eigenvalues, you must solve the characteristic equation det(A-λI) = 0, where A is the square matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. This will result in a polynomial equation, the roots of which are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

How do you find eigenvectors?

Once you have found the eigenvalues, you can find the corresponding eigenvectors by solving the system of equations (A-λI)v = 0, where A is the square matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and v is an unknown vector. The nonzero solutions to this system will give the eigenvectors.

Why are eigenvalues and eigenvectors important?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They allow us to understand the behavior and properties of linear transformations, and can be used to solve systems of differential equations, analyze networks, and perform dimensionality reduction in data analysis.