Latch explained in the form of relays

• Thread starter Inspar8r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, you can use a relay to feedback a circuit, but you need to make sure the relay is in a series circuit with the buttons you are using to switch the circuit on and off.
Inspar8r
Hey all,

I was in class today, and in order to grasp concepts better, i try to relate them to things i can use them for.

Latches are very very helpful for me, but I like to use 12v applications, so busting out the 74HC74 or 74HC112 (i'm still learning these numbers, so correct me if I'm wrong) isn't going to work (or, could i use them by dropping the voltage before the IC gets power, maybe xener diode or the two transistor method to stabilize voltage?).

Can anyone explain how i could wire a single relay for feedback? In other words, design a simple circuit that all i need to do is depress a pushbutton switch to energize the relay (4-pin/contact N-O), and then when i let go, the circuit will continue to run.

Further, how would i go about stopping this circuit once it starts?

My prof. and I drew the circuit on the board today, but i didn't write it on paper.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use a voltage source ( battery) connect to the relay coil ( maybe via a suitable resistor) via two simple press switches in series , one NO the other NC. connect the relay contact terminals across the NO switch. When you depress the NO switch the relay will close confirming the connection and stay on when switch is released, to break press the NC switch -- circuit returns to original state. Ray
IF you use a resistor an alternative would be to use another NO switch placed across the relay coil -- the resistor would then limit the current flow from the battery as you turn the circuit off by bypassing the coil.

Last edited:
well, there was a diagram up, but now it's gone... I'm not really following your description.

i might have it, but I'm not sure...

Last edited:
You need a normally closed and a normally opened. Put the relay in series with both buttons. So the relay and both buttons are in one series circuit. Now, place the contacts of the relay switch in parallel with the normally open. Make sure it's only in parallel with the normally opened. When you push the normally opened, it energizes the relay. The relay, now, powers itself, because it's switch shorts the normally opened. Push the normally closed to cut power to the whole circuit.

Dual Op Amp said:
You need a normally closed and a normally opened. Put the relay in series with both buttons. So the relay and both buttons are in one series circuit. Now, place the contacts of the relay switch in parallel with the normally open. Make sure it's only in parallel with the normally opened. When you push the normally opened, it energizes the relay. The relay, now, powers itself, because it's switch shorts the normally opened. Push the normally closed to cut power to the whole circuit.

No i gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I was putting the circuit after the coil in the relay.

I figured it out after awhile that the switched circuit needs to be on the switched side of the relay.

Thanks again.

1. What is a latch?

A latch is a type of electronic circuit that stores a single bit of information, either a 0 or a 1. It can be thought of as a temporary storage device that can hold its state until it is changed by an external signal.

2. How does a latch work?

A latch is made up of two cross-coupled NOR or NAND gates, with their outputs connected to the inputs of the other gate. This creates a feedback loop that allows the latch to store and maintain its state. When a control signal is applied, it changes the state of the latch and locks it in that state until the next control signal is received.

3. What is the purpose of using relays in a latch circuit?

Relays are used in latch circuits to control the flow of electricity and create a feedback loop. They act as electronic switches that can be controlled by the inputs to the latch, allowing the circuit to store and maintain its state.

4. What are the advantages of using a latch circuit with relays?

One advantage of using a latch circuit with relays is that it is a simple and reliable way to store and maintain a single bit of information. Relays also have a high tolerance for voltage and can handle high currents, making them suitable for use in power circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to using a latch circuit with relays?

One limitation of using a latch circuit with relays is that it can only store a single bit of information. Additionally, relays have moving parts that can wear out over time, so they may not be suitable for applications that require frequent changes in state.