Solve Polyprotic pH Problem: K2HPO4 & H3PO4 (65 Chars)

• Thread starter Zealduke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, a .05 M sample of K2HPO4 was dissolved in 800 mL of water and the pH was adjusted to 7 using a 1 M solution of H3PO4. The volume was then brought up to 1 L with water. It is necessary to use charge and mass balance for this problem. The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation and stoichiometry may be useful in solving it. At pH 7, the presence of H3PO4 and PO43- can be ignored.
Zealduke
A .05 M sample of K2HPO4 was dissolved in 800 mL of water, and the pH was adjusted to 7 by using a 1 M solution of H3PO4 followed by water bringing the volume up to 1 L. How many mL of H3PO4 were added? (On this problem charge and mass balance have to be used.)

My problem is just in the very beginning, as my book is terrible, I am not entirely sure on how to approach this problem.

Im assuming the mass balance for H3PO4 will be:

[H3PO4] + [H2PO4- ] + [HPO42-] + [PO43-] = 1 M

And the charge balance for K2HPO4 would be:

[H+] + [K+] = [OH-] + [H2PO4-] + 2*[HPO42-] + 3*[PO43-]

I'm really uncertain whether I'm missing anything or what the next step should be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please try these lectures on pH calcualtion as a starting point.

At pH 7.0 you can ignore presence of H3PO4 and PO43-. I have a gut feeling that this question can be solved just using Henderson-Hasselbalch equation and stoichiometry.

--

I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions.Hello,

Thank you for sharing your approach to the problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of mass and charge balance, which are important principles to use in solving this type of problem.

One way to approach this problem is to set up an equation based on the information given. We know that the initial concentration of K2HPO4 is 0.05 M and the final volume is 1 L, so we can write:

(0.05 M)(800 mL) = (x M)(y mL)

where x is the concentration of H3PO4 and y is the volume of H3PO4 added. We can then use this equation to solve for y, which will give us the volume of H3PO4 added. This approach takes into account both the mass and charge balance, as the initial and final concentrations of K2HPO4 must be equal.

Another approach could be to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which relates the pH of a solution to the pKa and concentrations of the acid and its conjugate base. In this case, we know the final pH is 7 and the pKa for H3PO4 is 2.15, so we can use the equation:

pH = pKa + log([HPO42-]/[H3PO4])

to solve for the concentration of H3PO4, which will also give us the volume added.

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas on how to approach this problem. Keep in mind that there may be more than one way to solve it, so don't be afraid to try different approaches and see what works best for you. Good luck!

1. How do I calculate the pH of a solution containing K2HPO4 and H3PO4?

To calculate the pH of a solution containing both K2HPO4 and H3PO4, you will need to use the equations for polyprotic acids. First, find the concentrations of each acid using the concentration and volume of the solution. Then, use the acid dissociation constants (Ka) for each acid to calculate the concentrations of H+ ions. Finally, use the equation pH = -log[H+] to find the pH of the solution.

2. What are the acid dissociation constants (Ka) for K2HPO4 and H3PO4?

The Ka value for K2HPO4 is 6.2 x 10^-8 and the Ka value for H3PO4 is 7.5 x 10^-13. These values can be found in a chemistry reference book or online.

3. How do I know which acid to use in the calculations?

In order to calculate the pH of a solution containing both K2HPO4 and H3PO4, you will need to use both acids in the calculations. The Ka values for each acid will determine the relative concentrations of H+ ions in the solution.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve the polyprotic pH problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve the polyprotic pH problem. Make sure to use the correct equations and input the values accurately to get an accurate pH calculation.

5. How do I know if my pH calculation is correct?

To check if your pH calculation is correct, you can use a pH meter to measure the pH of the solution. Alternatively, you can compare your calculation to published values or ask a colleague to double check your work.