Windows 7 internet connectivity

In summary, you have a problem with your internet connection that you are stumped on. You have a dual boot setup of XP and Windows 7, and the problem only exists when you boot using Windows 7. You have a NIC installed, but the drivers for it may not be installed. You will need to obtain the 64 bit version of the drivers for your NIC from NVIDIA. If you bypass the router, then the problem may be resolved.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As much as I hate to admit it, I am stumped. I recently installed windows 7 [64 bit] and cannot connect to the internet. Fortunately, I was just bright enough to install it on a second hard drive and have dual boot option [XP]. It appears modem related, but, I have not found any drivers that solve the problem. I have a Westell 6100 modem and Verizon DSL, if that is helpful. Any help would be appreciated [I need more than 3 gigs memory for some of the tasks I have in mind].

Computer science news on Phys.org
Your problem isn't going to be with your modem, its not part of your computer. Whats the make and model of your LAN/WLAN card?

On MB, NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller. Make and model not apparent. Board is ASUS P5N-D.

Chronos said:
As much as I hate to admit it, I am stumped. I recently installed windows 7 [64 bit] and cannot connect to the internet. Fortunately, I was just bright enough to install it on a second hard drive and have dual boot option [XP]. It appears modem related, but, I have not found any drivers that solve the problem. I have a Westell 6100 modem and Verizon DSL, if that is helpful. Any help would be appreciated [I need more than 3 gigs memory for some of the tasks I have in mind].

Just to make sure, are you using the inline filter between the modem and phone jack?

No filter between modem and phone jack. As noted, I have a dual boot setup [XP 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit]. The problem only exists when I boot using Windows 7.

Chronos said:
No filter between modem and phone jack. As noted, I have a dual boot setup [XP 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit]. The problem only exists when I boot using Windows 7.

Are the drivers for your NIC installed? Go to Start > Control Panel > Device Manager. See picture below. You can check BIOS for the model of your NIC as well.

DMcapture.png

If the drivers are not installed, you'll need to obtain the 64 bit version of your NIC's drivers from NVIDIA. Seeing as how your connection works on your 32 bit OS, I am guessing that this is a 64 bit driver problem, not Windows 7. NVIDIA may just not have 64 bit drivers available for your particular card yet.

Installed latest NIC driver from Nvidia. It is a more recent driver than the one installed by Win7, but, problem persists. Contacted Verizon and wasted half an hour performing stupid human tricks [apparently translated from sanskrit] before being disconnected. I repeatedly mentioned I could connect with XP, but, not Win7. He seemd unconvinced or oblivious to this fact. I have a Linksys router configured to act as a hub. I doubt that is relevant, but anything is possible.

Chronos said:
I have a Linksys router configured to act as a hub. I doubt that is relevant, but anything is possible.

That's the problem. Win7 must be able to go through that router in order to connect to the internet. Win XP was already set-up for that, but not your Win7. You will need to do this manually then all will be fine.

EDIT: I've dealt with this before, and one way to test this is to bypass the router.
Make sense? Let me know.

1. What are the common causes of internet connectivity issues on Windows 7?

Some common causes of internet connectivity issues on Windows 7 include faulty network settings, outdated drivers, malware or virus infections, and hardware problems such as a faulty network adapter or router.

2. How can I troubleshoot internet connectivity issues on Windows 7?

To troubleshoot internet connectivity issues on Windows 7, you can try resetting your network settings, updating your drivers, running a malware scan, and checking your hardware for any issues. You can also try connecting to a different network to see if the issue is with your current network.

3. I am unable to access certain websites on my Windows 7 computer. What could be the problem?

The problem could be related to your internet browser settings, firewall settings, or DNS cache. Try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, disabling your firewall temporarily, and flushing your DNS cache to see if that resolves the issue.

4. How do I update my network drivers on Windows 7?

To update your network drivers on Windows 7, you can go to the Device Manager and right-click on your network adapter. Select "Update driver" and follow the instructions. You can also download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website and install them manually.

5. Can a Windows 7 computer connect to a wireless network?

Yes, a Windows 7 computer can connect to a wireless network as long as it has a compatible wireless network adapter and the necessary drivers are installed. You can connect to a wireless network by going to the Network and Sharing Center and selecting "Set up a new connection or network".