Prove Metric Space: d_p Not Metric when p < 1

In summary, the question asks for a proof that if p < 1, then the function d_p is not a metric on X = \mathbb{R}^n. The textbooks provide proofs for p \geq 1 using the equation \displaystyle \frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q} = 1. A useful approach would be to try specific examples, but the person asking for help is still unable to solve the problem and requests more hints.
complexnumber

Homework Statement

Let [tex]X = \mathbb{R}^n[/tex] be equipped with the metric
[tex]
d_p(\boldsymbol{x}, \boldsymbol{y}) := \left[ \sum^n_{i=1} |x_i
- y_i|^p \right]^{\frac{1}{p}}, p \geq 1
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Show that if [tex]p < 1[/tex] then [tex]d_p[/tex] is not a metric.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what approach I should take. The textbooks have proofs showing that when [tex]p \geq 1[/tex] the function [tex]d_p[/tex] is a metric but only uses [tex]p[/tex] in the equation [tex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q} = 1[/tex]. Can someone give me a hint where I should start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Trying specific examples is often useful.

I still can't figure out. Can you give me more hint?

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept used to measure the distance between points in a set. It is defined by a metric function, which assigns a non-negative real number to every pair of points in the set.

2. What does d_p represent in "Prove Metric Space: d_p Not Metric when p < 1"?

d_p is a metric function that is defined as d_p(x,y) = |x-y|^p, where x and y are points in a set and p is a real number greater than or equal to 1.

3. Why is d_p not a metric when p < 1?

When p is less than 1, the function d_p does not satisfy all the properties of a metric function. Specifically, it does not satisfy the triangle inequality property, which states that the distance between two points must always be less than or equal to the sum of the distances between those points and a third point.

4. Can you provide an example to illustrate why d_p is not a metric when p < 1?

One example is the set of real numbers, where p = 0.5. In this case, d_p(0,1) = |0-1|^0.5 = 1, d_p(0,2) = |0-2|^0.5 = 2, and d_p(1,2) = |1-2|^0.5 = 1. The triangle inequality property is not satisfied because d_p(0,2) = 2 > 1 + 1 = d_p(0,1) + d_p(1,2).

5. What are some real-world applications of metric spaces?

Metric spaces have many practical applications, such as in physics for measuring distances in space and time, in computer science for analyzing algorithms and data structures, and in economics for measuring the similarity between products and consumer preferences.