Projectile motion with air resistance proportional to velocity

In summary, the task is to prove that the horizontal distance of a projectile with initial velocity v_0 is maximal when the elevation angle (\alpha) and the angle of trajectory tangent at the point of impact are complementary. The equations for the projectile's motion in the x and y directions are derived, and the problem is to find the explicit expression for the time of impact t_i from the equation y = 0. Two possible methods to solve this problem are suggested: using the function y = 0 to express either t_i(\alpha) or \alpha(t_i) to maximize the function x(t_i), or using the method of Lagrange multipliers. However, it may be possible to use energy conservation to find a simpler solution,
dykkms

Homework Statement

The projectile with initial velocity [tex]v_0[/tex] is moving in environment with air resistance, which is linear to projectile's velocity. The task is to prove, that horizontal distance is maximal, if the elevation angle ([tex]\alpha[/tex]) and the angle of trajectory tangent in place of impact are complementary.

Homework Equations

[tex] F_x = - k.v_x [/tex]
[tex] F_y = - m.g - k.v_y [/tex]
[tex] v_x = v.\cos(\varphi) [/tex]
[tex] v_y = v.\sin(\varphi) [/tex]
[tex] v_{0x} = v_0.\cos(\alpha) [/tex]
[tex] v_{0y} = v_0.\sin(\alpha) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

equations in [tex]x[/tex] direction:
[tex] a_x = \frac{F_x}{m} = - \frac{k}{m} v_x [/tex]
[tex] a_x = \frac{\mathrm{d}v_x}{\mathrm{d}t} = - \frac{k}{m} v_x [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\mathrm{d}v_x}{v_x} = - \frac{k}{m}\mathrm{d}t \Rightarrow v_x = v_{0x}.e^{-\frac{k}{m}t} [/tex]
after integration:
[tex] x = -\frac{m}{k} v_{0x} . e^{-\frac{k}{m}t} + \frac{m}{k} v_{0x} [/tex]

equations in [tex]y[/tex] direction:
[tex] a_y = \frac{F_y}{m} = - g - \frac{k}{m} v_y [/tex]
[tex] a_y = \frac{\mathrm{d}v_y}{\mathrm{d}t} = - g - \frac{k}{m} v_y [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\mathrm{d}v_y}{- g - \frac{k}{m} v_y} = \mathrm{d}t [/tex]
after integrations and mathematical expressing:
[tex] v_y = \frac{m}{k}\left(g + \frac{k}{m}v_{0y}\right)e^{-\frac{k}{m}t} - g\frac{m}{k} [/tex]
[tex] y = - \frac{m^2}{k^2}\left(g+ \frac{k}{m}v_{0y}\right).\left(e^{-\frac{k}{m}t} - 1\right) - g\frac{m}{k}t [/tex]

And here is my problem:
I would like to express from [tex]y[/tex] equation the time of the impact [tex]t_i[/tex]. I know about this moment, that [tex] y = 0 [/tex]. If I am able to write explicit function for [tex] t_i(\alpha) [/tex], then I would pass it to [tex] x [/tex] function. Afterwards I would differentiate this [tex] x [/tex] function according to [tex] \alpha [/tex]. Then I would find the ideal [tex] \alpha [/tex], which I would use to find [tex] t_i [/tex] which I would finally use to find impact angle.
Unfortunatelly, I can't see the way to find explicit expression of [tex] t_i [/tex] from [tex] y = 0 [/tex] function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, you want to maximize [itex]x(t_i)-x(0)[/itex] subject to the constraint [itex]y(t_i)=0[/itex]...that seems like a prime candidate for the mathod of Lagrange multipliers to me:wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
Basically, you want to maximize [itex]x(t_i)-x(0)[/itex] subject to the constraint [itex]y(t_i)=0[/itex]...that seems like a prime candidate for the mathod of Lagrange multipliers to me:wink:

Thank you for your answer!
Basically, you say (and I think you are right...), there are two other possibilities:
  • from function [tex] y = 0 [/tex] not to express [tex] t_i(\alpha) [/tex], but [tex] \alpha(t_i) [/tex] and to use this in function [tex] x(t_i) [/tex], which I should maximize
  • to use method of Lagrange multipliers

First mentioned method brings me to situation, that I am not able to express [tex] t_i [/tex], which would maximize [tex] x(t_i) [/tex] function, anyway.
Second, I was thinking about method of Lagrange multipliers before, but I tried to avoid it, because I am trying to help with this homework to my friend, who is first-year student at university (industrial management) and he doesn't know the method yet... But I think, I will have to.

Hmmm... if this is supposed to be a 1st year level problem, there may be a simpler method...perhaps energy conservation would make things easier.

First of all, great job on setting up the equations for projectile motion with air resistance! To find the time of impact, we can use the fact that at the impact point, the projectile's position in the y-direction is 0. This means that we can set y = 0 in the y-equation and solve for t.

y = - \frac{m^2}{k^2}\left(g+ \frac{k}{m}v_{0y}\right).\left(e^{-\frac{k}{m}t} - 1\right) - g\frac{m}{k}t
0 = - \frac{m^2}{k^2}\left(g+ \frac{k}{m}v_{0y}\right).\left(e^{-\frac{k}{m}t} - 1\right) - g\frac{m}{k}t
\frac{m^2}{k^2}\left(g+ \frac{k}{m}v_{0y}\right).\left(e^{-\frac{k}{m}t} - 1\right) = - g\frac{m}{k}t
\left(e^{-\frac{k}{m}t} - 1\right) = - \frac{gk}{m(g + \frac{k}{m}v_{0y})}t

We can then use the natural logarithm to solve for t:

\ln\left(e^{-\frac{k}{m}t} - 1\right) = \ln\left(- \frac{gk}{m(g + \frac{k}{m}v_{0y})}t\right)
-\frac{k}{m}t = \ln\left(- \frac{gk}{m(g + \frac{k}{m}v_{0y})}\right) + \ln t
t = \frac{m}{k}\left(\ln\left(- \frac{gk}{m(g + \frac{k}{m}v_{0y})}\right) + \ln t\right)

Since we want to find the time of impact as a function of the initial velocity and angle, we can substitute in the expressions for v_{0x} and v_{0y} in terms of v_0 and \alpha:

t = \frac{m}{k}\left(\ln\left(- \

1. What is projectile motion with air resistance proportional to velocity?

Projectile motion with air resistance proportional to velocity is a type of motion where an object is launched into the air and experiences resistance from the air as it moves. The amount of resistance is determined by the object's velocity, with higher velocities resulting in more resistance. This type of motion is commonly seen in sports such as baseball, as well as in other real-world scenarios like rocket launches.

2. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance can significantly affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its path. As the object moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air resistance. This force causes the object to slow down and deviate from its original path, resulting in a shorter and lower trajectory compared to a projectile with no air resistance.

3. Can air resistance be ignored in projectile motion calculations?

In most cases, air resistance cannot be ignored in projectile motion calculations. While it may be negligible for small and light objects, it becomes increasingly significant for larger and heavier objects or those traveling at high velocities. Ignoring air resistance can lead to inaccurate predictions and calculations.

4. How do you calculate the effects of air resistance on a projectile?

The effects of air resistance on a projectile can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the object's velocity, mass, and air density, among other factors. These equations can be solved using numerical methods or by using computer software. Alternatively, experiments can also be conducted to measure the effects of air resistance on a projectile in real-world scenarios.

5. Can air resistance ever increase the distance traveled by a projectile?

In general, air resistance will decrease the distance traveled by a projectile. However, there are some scenarios where air resistance can actually increase the distance traveled. For example, if the projectile has a curved or angled surface, the air resistance force may act in a direction that partially counteracts the force of gravity, resulting in a longer flight distance. This phenomenon is commonly seen in sports like golf and baseball.