Repairing/Replacing a Human Cochlea

• Medical
  • Thread starter EpiGen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of growing human hair cells with stem cells or creating a new human cochlear using current or future technology. The individual mentions wearing a cochlear implant and asks when this technology may be available. The response mentions that mouse experiments have shown potential for replacing damaged hair cells with stem cells, but this technology is still far from being applied in humans. The individual also shares two related research papers. The expert summarizer suggests that advancements in cochlear implants may surpass stem cell repairs in the near future, and that cybernetics may be a more promising solution for hearing loss. The expert also mentions the challenges and risks associated with stem cell treatments. Overall, the conversation highlights ongoing research and advancements in the field of hearing
EpiGen
When I was 2 years old I contracted pneumococcal menengitis and it destroyed many of the hair cells in my cochlea - resulting in profound deafness. I wear a cochlear implant at the moment but I was wondering:

When will it be possible grow human hairs cells with stem cells, or when will it be possible for a new human cochlear to be made/grown with the technology we have today or that to come in the near future? Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
Mouse experiments have already indicated that damaged hair cells can be replaced by stem cells, but I think the application of the technology lies a long way in the future. Also, it would probably only work when the tissue is still damaged, not when it has had time to heal by itself.

Here is a paper, where they were able to grow hair-like cells from stem cells:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20478259"
and an earlier paper:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19625987"

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect, based on nothing more than my opinion for the argument of this thread, that advances in cochlear implants will outstrip stem-cell repairs in the near future. For the time being, the issue of programming stem cells to "do as they are told" is a real issue, and the testing process is relatively long and can be dangerous. Improperly treated stem cells are essentially neoplasms. Just as advances for those with blindness have been found in what might be called cybernetics, I think the same will be true for hearing. I would hasten to add that it doesn't mean that a "repaired" cochlea would be desirable either; a synthetic one or other implant may well provide better hearing eventually. Hearing loss of one degree or another is a big industry, which means that a lot of money goes into R&D; I would not be discouraged because one seeming avenue is limited.

What is a human cochlea?

A human cochlea is a spiral-shaped, fluid-filled structure in the inner ear responsible for converting sound vibrations into electrical signals that are sent to the brain for interpretation.

How does a cochlea become damaged?

A cochlea can become damaged due to a variety of reasons, including exposure to loud noises, head trauma, genetic disorders, and certain medications.

Can a damaged cochlea be repaired?

Currently, there is no known method for repairing a damaged cochlea. However, there are treatments such as hearing aids and cochlear implants that can help improve hearing in individuals with damaged cochleas.

What is a cochlear implant?

A cochlear implant is a small electronic device that is surgically implanted in the inner ear. It bypasses the damaged cochlea and directly stimulates the auditory nerve, allowing individuals with severe hearing loss or deafness to perceive sound.

Who is a good candidate for a cochlear implant?

Individuals who have severe to profound hearing loss and do not benefit from hearing aids may be good candidates for a cochlear implant. This includes individuals with damaged cochleas, as well as those with nerve-related hearing loss. A comprehensive evaluation by a team of audiologists and otolaryngologists is necessary to determine if a person is a suitable candidate for a cochlear implant.