Choosing the Right Power Supply for Your M-Audio Keystation 61es MIDI Keyboard

In summary: The adapter must be able to accept the volts input that your country supplies.In summary, the user needs a power supply for their M-Audio Keystation 61es MIDI keyboard which requires up to 300mA at 9 volts. The recommended replacement is a 9v 500mA supply, but other online retailers sell a 500mA supply as well. The user is unsure if their 9V 800mA or 9V 300mA supplies will work and asks about the importance of the input specifications. The input specifications do matter as the supply must be able to accept the mains voltage of the user's country.
rspaulding
I need a power supply for my M-Audio Keystation 61es MIDI keyboard, and I think I might have one that will work for it.

The user manual for the keyboard says this:
"You can also use a power adapter (not included) with the following specification: 9V DC output, 250 - 300mA, center positive"

But then their website is selling a 9v 500mA as the proper replacement:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/PowerSupply9VDC500mA.html

And every other online retailer sells a 500mA supply as the replacement:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend....upply?sku=500930&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=2179950

A little bit confusing, but I have two laying around that might work, one is 9V 800mA and the other is 9V 300mA. Do you think either of these will be safe? If so, which one?

Also, do the "input" specs on the supply matter much?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
rspaulding said:
I need a power supply for my M-Audio Keystation 61es MIDI keyboard, and I think I might have one that will work for it.

The user manual for the keyboard says this:But then their website is selling a 9v 500mA as the proper replacement:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/PowerSupply9VDC500mA.html

And every other online retailer sells a 500mA supply as the replacement:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend....upply?sku=500930&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=2179950

A little bit confusing, but I have two laying around that might work, one is 9V 800mA and the other is 9V 300mA. Do you think either of these will be safe? If so, which one?

Also, do the "input" specs on the supply matter much?

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Looks like your keyboard requires up to 300 ma @ 9 volts. The output of these types of adapters indicate the maximum amount of current they can supply. So the 300mA one you have should work. What you want to make sure of is that the center connector terminal is the positive one (proper polarity).

Yes the "input" specs matter. If you're in the US, mains voltages are 115vac. Other counties mains may be 230vac.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a 9V power supply?

A 9V power supply is a type of electrical power source that provides a constant output of 9 volts. It is commonly used for powering electronic devices that require a higher voltage than traditional batteries can provide.

2. Can I use a 9V power supply for any electronic device?

No, not all electronic devices are compatible with a 9V power supply. It is important to check the voltage and current requirements of your device before using a 9V power supply. Using the wrong power supply can damage your device or cause it to malfunction.

3. How do I choose the right 9V power supply for my device?

You should first check the voltage and current requirements of your electronic device. Then, choose a 9V power supply that meets those specifications. It is also important to make sure the power supply has the correct plug size and polarity for your device.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC 9V power supplies?

An AC (alternating current) 9V power supply produces a voltage that fluctuates between positive and negative values, while a DC (direct current) 9V power supply produces a steady voltage in one direction. Most electronic devices require DC power, so it is important to check which type of power supply your device needs.

5. Can I use a 9V battery as a power supply?

Yes, you can use a 9V battery as a power supply for some electronic devices. However, the battery will eventually run out of power and need to be replaced. Using a 9V power supply instead allows for a continuous and reliable power source for your device.

Back