Poisson arrivals and mgf

• Thread starter Gekko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poisson
In summary, a Poisson arrival process is a random process that models the arrival of events over time, such as customers or requests. It is characterized by two parameters - the arrival rate and time interval - and is associated with the Poisson distribution. The moment-generating function (MGF) of a Poisson distribution is a mathematical function used to calculate moments of the distribution, which can provide insights into the behavior of the process. The MGF is often used in the study of Poisson arrival processes to estimate the arrival rate and assess the variability of arrivals.
Gekko

Homework Statement

Suppose cars arriving at an intersection follow a poisson distribution and that the number of passengers in the nth car is Yn where n>=1 and they are iid and independent of Nt each with moment generating function My(k)

Write Zt as a sum of iid random variables and show:

mgf of Zt = exp[ lambda*t*(My(k)-1)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Probability of Yn passengers in the nth car is P(Yn) * P(Nt)

(1/n) * [exp(-labmda*t) *(lambda*t)^n] / n!

If I calculate the mgf from here it doesn't lead to the correct answer.

How is Zt written as a sum of iid random variables from this?
Thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
or guidance you can provide.
Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would like to offer my assistance in solving this problem.

To write Zt as a sum of iid random variables, we need to consider the number of cars that arrive at the intersection in a given time interval. Let's call this number Nt. We know that Nt follows a Poisson distribution with parameter lambda*t, where lambda is the arrival rate of cars per unit time.

Now, for each car that arrives, we have the number of passengers Yn, which follows its own distribution with a moment generating function of My(k). Since Yn is independent of Nt, we can write Zt as the sum of Yn for each car that arrives, i.e. Zt = Y1 + Y2 + ... + YNt.

Since Yn are iid (independent and identically distributed) random variables, we can use the property that the moment generating function of a sum of iid random variables is the product of their individual moment generating functions. Therefore, the moment generating function of Zt is:

Mz(t) = M(Y1 + Y2 + ... + YNt) = M(Y1)*M(Y2)*...*M(YNt)

= [My(k)]^Nt

= [My(k)]^(lambda*t)

= exp[lambda*t*(My(k)-1)]

Hence, the moment generating function of Zt is exp[lambda*t*(My(k)-1)].

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is a Poisson arrival process?

A Poisson arrival process is a type of random process in which events occur independently and randomly over time. It is often used to model the arrival of customers or requests in a queueing system.

How is a Poisson arrival process characterized?

A Poisson arrival process is characterized by two parameters: the arrival rate (lambda) and the time interval (t). The arrival rate represents the average number of events that occur per unit of time, while the time interval specifies the length of time over which the arrivals are observed.

What is the probability distribution associated with a Poisson arrival process?

The probability distribution associated with a Poisson arrival process is the Poisson distribution. This distribution describes the probability of a certain number of events occurring in a given time interval, given the arrival rate.

What is the moment-generating function (MGF) of a Poisson distribution?

The moment-generating function (MGF) of a Poisson distribution is a mathematical function that provides a way to calculate moments (such as mean, variance, and higher-order moments) of the distribution. For a Poisson distribution, the MGF is e^(lambda*(e^t - 1)), where lambda is the arrival rate and t is a variable.

How is the MGF used in the study of Poisson arrival processes?

The MGF is often used in the study of Poisson arrival processes because it allows for the calculation of various moments of the distribution, which can provide insights into the behavior of the process. For example, the first moment (mean) can be used to estimate the average arrival rate, while the second moment (variance) can be used to assess the variability of the arrivals.