Weak acids and bases buffers

In summary, when adding a strong base like NaOH to acetic acid, OH- will react with the undissociated acetic acid in the buffering region, shifting the equilibrium towards the formation of acetate ions. This process is similar to when OH- reacts with H+ in other solutions, but the abundance of undissociated acetic acid in the solution makes it appear as though OH- is reacting with acetic acid instead of H+.
lha08

Homework Statement

I'm a little confused, let's say i do a titration curve for a weak acid, at some point there's a buffering range near the pKa. Like i know that if we add a strong base like NaOH to acetic acid in a water solvent, then the OH- will combine with the H+ (hydronium ion) which will shift the equilibrium towards the acetate ion and hydronium ion. But will a different process occur when we add the OH- in the buffering region? Like in my book, it says that it will react with the acetic acid which will form the acetate ion...but i just don't see why this occurs differently then when the OH- reacted with the hydronium ion...
any help/clearing up would be much appreciated

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not much different - in both cases it is like H+ reacting with OH-. However, in the solution of acetic acid there is - like - a lot of undissociated acetic acid, usually much more than H+. Hence we say OH- reacts with acetic acid, not H+.

Like.

Borek said:
It is not much different - in both cases it is like H+ reacting with OH-. However, in the solution of acetic acid there is - like - a lot of undissociated acetic acid, usually much more than H+. Hence we say OH- reacts with acetic acid, not H+.

Like.

Like, are you like annoyed by like the way I'm like writing my message? Like, if you like don't like it, like i suggest like you like find something else to like you know worry about besides like the way i write.

Like.

1. What is a weak acid or base?

A weak acid or base is a type of chemical compound that does not completely dissociate or ionize in water. This means that only a small fraction of the molecules will break apart into ions, leading to a low concentration of hydrogen or hydroxide ions in the solution.

2. How do weak acids and bases act as buffers?

Buffers are solutions that resist changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. Weak acids and bases are able to act as buffers because they can donate or accept small amounts of hydrogen or hydroxide ions, respectively, without causing a significant change in pH.

3. What is the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation?

The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the pH of a buffer solution. It takes into account the concentration of the weak acid or base, as well as the dissociation constant of the acid or base.

4. How can I prepare a buffer solution with a specific pH?

To prepare a buffer solution with a specific pH, you will need to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to determine the ratio of the weak acid and its conjugate base that is needed. You can then use this ratio to calculate the amounts of each component needed to make the desired volume of buffer solution.

5. Can a weak acid or base be used as a buffer in any pH range?

No, a weak acid or base can only act as a buffer in a pH range that is close to its pKa (acid dissociation constant) value. This is because at this pH, the concentrations of the acid and its conjugate base will be approximately equal, making the buffer most effective.