Countable Union/Intersection of Open/Closed sets

• Thread starter kathrynag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary: So every F-set has a countable union of closed sets while every G-set has a countable intersection of open sets.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

A set A is called a F set if it can be written as the countable union of closed sets. A set B is called a G set if it can be written as the countable intersection of open sets.
a) Show that a closed interval [a,b] is a G set
b) Show that the half-open interval (a,b] is both a G and an F set.
c) Show that Q is an F set and the set of irrationals I forms a G set.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Let [a,b] be a closed interval.
Well, I know a set is closed if it contains all its limit points

I'm kinda confused on this whole idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
kathrynag said:

Homework Statement

A set A is called a F set if it can be written as the countable union of closed sets. A set B is called a G set if it can be written as the countable intersection of open sets.
a) Show that a closed interval [a,b] is a G set
b) Show that the half-open interval (a,b] is both a G and an F set.
c) Show that Q is an F set and the set of irrationals I forms a G set.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Let [a,b] be a closed interval.
Well, I know a set is closed if it contains all its limit pointsI'm kinda confused on this whole idea.

For (a), try constructing a sequence of open intervals [itex]I_n[/itex] with the following properties:

1. [itex][a,b] \subset I_n[/itex] for every [itex]n[/itex]

2. [itex]I_{n+1} \subset I_n[/itex] for every [itex]n[/itex]

3. [itex]L(I_n) \searrow b - a[/itex] as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex], where [itex]L(I_n)[/itex] is the length of [itex]I_n[/itex]

You can do something similar with (b).

(c) is really, really easy.

Ok I get the idea behind a, but I don't see how that is countable.

b)Let(a,b] be contained in In for every n
I_n+1 is contained in In for every nc)Q is the set of rationals. We know a rational can be written as p/q

kathrynag said:
Ok I get the idea behind a, but I don't see how that is countable.

A sequence is countable, almost by definition.

If you define a collection of sets [itex]I_1, I_2, I_3, \ldots[/itex] then the fact that the collection can be indexed by integers means precisely that the collection is countable.

The individual SETS are not countable (any interval with nonzero length contains uncountably many points), but that is not what is required. You just need to have a countable NUMBER of sets.

For (c), you don't need to express the rationals in the form p/q. All you need to know are two things:

1. If you have a set containing a single rational [itex]\{x\}[/itex], is that a closed set?
2. How many rationals are there?

The following proves that {0} is a G-set.

[tex]\bigcap_{n\in \mathbb{N}}{]-1/n,1/n[}=\{0\} [/tex]

Can you generalize this idea?

c) p/q
Yes, a single rational will be closed and all rationals are countable. So we can write them as a countable union.
For irrationals, I cannot be written as p/q
Not sure where to go with this idea

So Q is an F-set since

[tex]\mathbb{Q}=\bigcup_{q\in \mathbb{Q}}{\{q\}} [/tex]

To prove the irrationals are a G-set, try taking complements and apply De Morgans law.

So try the complement of Q
Q^C=x is not an element of Q.
If I take the union of Q=intersection Q^C by Demorgans laws.
Ok, In get that, but I'm not sure how to tell we have intersection of open sets. Is it because a set O is open iff O^C is closed?

Yes! A set is open if and only if it's complement is closed.

What you have proven now can be generalized: the complement of a G-set is an F-set and vice versa.

1. What is a countable union of open sets?

A countable union of open sets is a set that is formed by combining a countable number of open sets. This means that the elements of the set are from the individual open sets and there is no limit to the number of open sets that can be combined to form the countable union.

2. What is a countable intersection of closed sets?

A countable intersection of closed sets is a set that is formed by finding the elements that are common to a countable number of closed sets. This means that the elements of the set are present in all of the individual closed sets that are being intersected.

3. How is a countable union different from a countable intersection?

A countable union combines elements from multiple open sets, while a countable intersection finds common elements from multiple closed sets. This means that the resulting sets will have different elements and may have different properties.

4. Can a countable union or intersection include an uncountable number of sets?

No, a countable union or intersection is limited to a countable number of sets. This means that the sets being combined or intersected must be able to be numbered or listed in a sequence that can be counted.

5. What are some real-world applications of countable union and intersection of sets?

Countable union and intersection of sets have many applications in mathematics, computer science, and engineering. For example, they are used in topology to study the properties of spaces, in algorithms to solve optimization problems, and in data analysis to find common patterns in large datasets.