Typically Dem voting populace: seismic shift

In summary: This is BIG IMHO. Catholics have suddenly shifted their support from Kerry to Bush, according to the latest survey from the California-based Barna Research Group. This shift is likely attributable to Bush's evangelical affiliation and the fact that many Catholics now view him as a better leader than Kerry. Bush also enjoys the support of Catholic voters who traditionally vote Democratic, though Kerry still has a fair amount of support among this population.
kat
This is BIG IMHO
Analysis: 'Seismic' Catholic shift to Bush
*snip*
President George W. Bush has suddenly acquired a commanding lead among Catholic voters over his Democratic rival, Sen. John Kerry, according to the latest survey of the California-based Barna Research Group.

Barna called this finding a "seismic shift." In May, Kerry led Bush 48-to-43 percent among Catholics. Today, the ratio has changed to 53-to-36 percent in Bush's favor, reports Barna, an organization researching opinions and behaviors of the religious communities in the United States.

"That swing is attributable to an encompassing assessment by many Catholics of the leadership abilities, character, and policy stands of both candidates," pollster George Barna said.

Sen. Kerry is a Roman Catholic, President Bush belongs to the evangelical wing of the United Methodist Church, a mainline Protestant denomination.

"Many of the Catholics now behind Mr. Bush have traditionally voted Democratic but have chosen a different course this time around," Barna said.

Catholics make up almost one-quarter - 23 percent - of U.S. voters.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whaaaaaaa?

I know zero Catholics who are Democrats, infact, in my English class the teacher took a poll of who was Catholic and who was Republican, and I believe all but 1 or 2 raised their hands for Republican, and the Catholics who didn't raise their hand for being Republican didn't raise their hands for being Democratic either.

Where are Catholics traditionally Democrats that this shift is occurring?

wasteofo2 said:
Whaaaaaaa?

I know zero Catholics who are Democrats, infact, in my English class the teacher took a poll of who was Catholic and who was Republican, and I believe all but 1 or 2 raised their hands for Republican, and the Catholics who didn't raise their hand for being Republican didn't raise their hands for being Democratic either.

Where are Catholics traditionally Democrats that this shift is occurring?

That's been my experience too, at least with practicing Catholics. Legislating morality, as the Republicans like to do, is a big draw for Catholics. So, like you, I'm wondering why this is being considered a big shift? Though I have seen lawn signs popping up in my neighborhood that say "Catholics Against Kerry" I thought it was an interesting choice of words. They don't actually say they are FOR Bush. Then again, for every one of those signs, they have a neighbor with a Kerry sign up. My neighborhood is a pretty conservative population, and is about 50/50 based on yard signs. The more affluent neighborhoods are predominantly Kerry signs. I'm actually surprised because I live in a city that is very conservative and I expected to be predominantly Republican and pro-Bush, even among the affluent.

It's pretty straightforward really.

Once upon a time, a bunch of Catholics thought it would be a good idea to vote for Kerry, because...Kerry is Catholic. Then some Catholic priests started screaming 'bloody murder' when Kerry did not denounce abortion. The rest of the catholic mob joined in, and they all lived happily ever after. :biggrin:

I'm not surprised Catholics support Bush by a majority, I'm surprised this article is saying they USED TO support Kerry by a majority. I've heard something like 2/3 of the voters who go to church regularly are Republicans and 2/3 of the voters who don't regularly go to church are Democrats.

Gokul43201 said:

Once upon a time, a bunch of Catholics thought it would be a good idea to vote for Kerry, because...Kerry is Catholic. Then some Catholic priests started screaming 'bloody murder' when Kerry did not denounce abortion. The rest of the catholic mob joined in, and they all lived happily ever after. :biggrin:
That's really weird, Kerry doens't act like any Catholics I know, and doesn't combine Church and State the way most of the Catholics I know seem to love. Are you saying people really supported Kerry just because he goes to a Catholic church, as opposed to a Protestant one? If so, that's just plain sad that people still think along those lines in the USA.

Gokul43201 said:

Actually, I would have though American Catholics would like the fact that Kerry thumbed his nose at the Catholic church. Could be just the young ones I know though.

Can't you do better than the Moonie Times citing an evangelical-oriented polling firm for a source?

The Pew folks give Kerry an edge among the Catholics they surveyed also, but their survey only included "white" Catholics, which they put at "about one of every five voters".

Their figure is 49% Bush - 39% Kerry right now, which is a change in the leader from their August numbers, but is actually less favorable to Bush than their early September numbers.

Summary of Pew Research Center polls

Last edited:
Alot of the things people will think are quite sad.

Smurf said:
Alot of the things people will think are quite sad.

Pinky, Are you pondering what I'm pondering?!?

Time to start putting Prozac in the drinking water :biggrin:

1. What factors contribute to a seismic shift in the typically Democratic voting populace?

There are several factors that can contribute to a seismic shift in the typically Democratic voting populace. These may include changes in demographics, shifts in political ideology, and significant events or issues that impact the public's perception of the party.

2. Has there been a recent seismic shift in the typically Democratic voting populace?

Yes, there have been several seismic shifts in the typically Democratic voting populace in recent years. The 2016 presidential election, for example, saw a significant shift in the Democratic vote among certain demographics, such as white working class voters.

3. How does a seismic shift in the typically Democratic voting populace impact elections?

A seismic shift in the typically Democratic voting populace can have a major impact on elections. This can lead to changes in the outcome of elections, as well as shifts in the political landscape and policy priorities of the party.

4. Are there any potential consequences of a seismic shift in the typically Democratic voting populace?

Yes, there can be potential consequences of a seismic shift in the typically Democratic voting populace. This may include changes in the party's messaging and strategy, as well as challenges in building a united base and maintaining support from their traditional voter base.

5. How can the Democratic party respond to a seismic shift in their voting populace?

The Democratic party can respond to a seismic shift in their voting populace by analyzing and understanding the factors that contributed to the shift, adapting their messaging and policies to appeal to the changing demographics, and actively engaging with their base to address concerns and build support.