Energy: Discrete or Continuous

In summary, the conversation discusses the assumptions of energy and mass equivalence, the discretization of quantum mechanics, and the discrete nature of mass through the Higgs Boson. The questions raised include the existence of a minimum mass for mass carrying particles, the relationship between energy and Higgs Bosons, and the possibility of energy being a discretizable element.
zlander79
First let me pose the assumptions that I am making (because this is not something I am an expert in):

1.) Energy and Mass are equivalent
2.) Quantum mechanics discretizes just about everything, or that a discrete element can be found for everything.
3.) Mass is discrete via the Higgs Boson
4.) Assume the Higgs Boson exists with all proposed qualities.

Then:
1.) Would there exist a minimum mass for mass carrying particles since the smallest mass you can have is that created by a higgs boson?

2.) Because there exists a minimum mass for mass carrying particles, you would have a minimum 'energy' (not really sure how to correctly term this)?

3.) Wouldn't there then exist a fixed ratio between energy an higgs Bosons?

4.) Would energy then be a descretizable element?

Again I really don't know a great deal but in general its interesting to me if energy is discrete or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Higgs Bosons are supposed to explain mass of particles. Photons are massless, so they don't have any direct connection with Higgs Bosons.

1. What is the difference between discrete and continuous energy?

Discrete energy refers to energy that exists in specific, quantized units, such as photons of light or electrons in an atom. Continuous energy, on the other hand, refers to energy that can take on any value within a given range, such as a sound wave or the motion of an object.

2. Can energy be both discrete and continuous?

Yes, energy can exist in both discrete and continuous forms. For example, the energy levels of an atom are discrete, while the movement of an object can be described as continuous energy.

3. How is energy measured?

Energy is measured in joules (J), a unit that represents the amount of work done when a force of one newton is applied over a distance of one meter.

4. Is all energy quantized?

No, not all forms of energy are quantized. As mentioned earlier, continuous energy can take on any value within a given range, while only certain values are allowed for discrete energy.

5. How does the concept of discrete and continuous energy relate to quantum mechanics?

The concept of discrete energy plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics, as it helps explain the behavior of subatomic particles and the structure of atoms. In quantum mechanics, energy levels are quantized, meaning particles can only exist at certain energy levels and can only transition between these levels by absorbing or emitting discrete amounts of energy.