Is op amp or any amplifier circuit/device a over-unity device?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether an op amp or any amplifier circuit/device is an over-unity efficient device. The participants discuss the concept of free energy and aether, but ultimately conclude that the perceived "extra" energy in power amplifiers actually comes from the power source. They also clarify that voltage is not the same as power, and suggest that wattage is the proper measure of efficiency. Overall, the conversation ends with a reminder to follow the forum rules and a request for further clarification on calculating efficiency for op amps and semiconductors.
Pagedown
Is op amp or any amplifier circuit/device a over-unity efficient device?

The above question has been stuck in my mind, and I can't figure it out, as Vout is greater than Vin which Pin>Pout. So is it?

I heard a lot about free energy and aether, thus come to this question.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean over 100% efficiency? Absolutely not. If there is one, I want one too!:rofl:

Or are you just talking about voltage gain?

the efficiency. So how to calculate its efficiency, if it is not Vout/Vin since it is voltage gain?

I am confuse how do you define efficiency? I am confused. To me, efficiency means power out divid by power in times 100 percent. Nothing even come close to 100%. Power in include the driving power plus the power input from the power supplies.

So power in should be the Voltage IN while power out should be Voltage OUT? I am confused how to calculate it. Maybe although the voltage gain is high, the output current is very low? I do know that is true for transformers, but don't know for any opamp or semiconductor.

Pagedown said:
Is op amp or any amplifier circuit/device a over-unity efficient device?

The above question has been stuck in my mind, and I can't figure it out, as Vout is greater than Vin which Pin>Pout. So is it?

I heard a lot about free energy and aether, thus come to this question.

I will put this as gently as I can.

The big giant battery or the wall power plug is where the "extra" energy comes from for power amplifiers. There is no free energy.

Thread closed. Please re-read the Rules link at the top of the page that you agreed to when you joined our forums.

Pagedown said:
So power in should be the Voltage IN while power out should be Voltage OUT? I am confused how to calculate it. Maybe although the voltage gain is high, the output current is very low? I do know that is true for transformers, but don't know for any opamp or semiconductor.
Just to add one thing: voltage is not power. Wattage is power.

1. Is it possible to create an amplifier circuit/device that produces more output power than input power?

No, according to the laws of thermodynamics, it is not possible to create an amplifier circuit/device that is over-unity, meaning it produces more output power than input power. This would violate the principle of conservation of energy.

2. What is the efficiency of an op amp or amplifier circuit/device?

The efficiency of an op amp or amplifier circuit/device refers to how much of the input power is converted into output power. It is typically expressed as a percentage and can range from 0% (no output power) to 100% (all input power converted to output power).

3. Can an op amp or amplifier circuit/device be used as a perpetual motion machine?

No, an op amp or amplifier circuit/device cannot be used as a perpetual motion machine. Perpetual motion machines violate the laws of thermodynamics and are not possible.

4. How do op amps or amplifier circuits/devices amplify signals?

Op amps and amplifier circuits/devices use transistors and other components to increase the amplitude of an input signal. This is achieved through the use of feedback loops and gain stages.

5. Are there any real-world examples of over-unity devices?

No, there are no known over-unity devices that have been scientifically proven to work. Many claims of over-unity devices have been debunked or shown to be fraudulent. The laws of thermodynamics dictate that over-unity devices cannot exist.