Proving Convergence of a Series

In summary, the given series can be shown to diverge using the comparison test by comparing it to the harmonic series and using the limit comparison test with 1/2n.
hy23

Homework Statement

([tex]\sqrt{(n+1)}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex] ) [tex]/[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex]
I'm trying to show this series converges.

Homework Equations

divergence test: as n approaches infinity, if the sequence does not approach 0 then the series diverges
ratio test: as n approaches infinity, if the ratio between subsequent terms is less than 1 then the series converges, if equal to 1 the test is inconclusive, if greater than 1 then the series diverges
comparison test: if this series is smaller than another series that converges, then this series also converges; if this series is greater than another series that diverges, then this series also diverges

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying the divergence test, the sequence definitely approaches 0, but this cannot be used to prove convergence
I tried using ratio test (which has worked so well for nearly every question) and ended up with a mess of square roots.
I'm thinking of using comparison test, but what series can I compare it to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that:
[tex]
1=n+1-n=(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n})(\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n})
[/tex]
and hence
[tex]
\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}}
[/tex]

Sorry but I don't see where you're going with this, can you explain?

He wants you to rationalise the numerator.

I know what he did there but I don't know how that step leads to proving convergence

Ideally I would like you to compare your series to the harmonic series which is known to diverge

yes hunt, but this series is smaller than the harmonic series, thus you can't compare it to the harmonic to prove divergence, maybe it's more plausible to compare it to 1/2n, and use the limit comparison test instead?

hy23 said:
yes hunt, but this series is smaller than the harmonic series, thus you can't compare it to the harmonic to prove divergence, maybe it's more plausible to compare it to 1/2n, and use the limit comparison test instead?

[tex] 2 \sqrt{n+1} > \sqrt{n} + \sqrt{n+1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{ 2 \sqrt{n+1}} < \frac{1}{ \sqrt{n} + \sqrt{n+1}}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2(n+1)} < \frac{1}{ 2 \sqrt{n+1}}[/tex]

The series diverges.

1. What is the definition of convergence for a series?

The convergence of a series is a mathematical concept that determines whether the sum of an infinite sequence of numbers approaches a finite value. In other words, it determines whether the series "converges" towards a specific number or not.

2. How do you prove the convergence of a series?

There are various techniques for proving the convergence of a series, such as the comparison test, the ratio test, and the integral test. These methods involve comparing the series to known convergent or divergent series, analyzing the behavior of its terms, or using calculus techniques to evaluate the series.

3. What is the significance of proving convergence of a series?

Proving the convergence of a series is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of infinite sums and determine if they have a finite value. This is useful in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and statistics, where series are used to model real-world phenomena.

4. Can a series converge to more than one value?

No, a series can only converge to one unique value. If a series has multiple values that it converges to, it is considered to be divergent.

5. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series where the absolute value of each term converges, while conditional convergence refers to a series where the individual terms may alternate between positive and negative values, but the overall series still converges. Absolute convergence is stronger than conditional convergence, meaning that if a series is absolutely convergent, it is also conditionally convergent, but the reverse is not always true.