Are Rotations Exponential? Understanding the Concepts Behind Euler Identity

• Thread starter Opus_723
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotations
In summary, rotations follow the concept of exponential growth rather than linear growth, which may seem counterintuitive. This is because a half turn is represented by R(R(X)) where X is the point being rotated, and R^2(X) represents the same rotation being applied twice, resulting in a half turn. This can be proven by creating the rotation matrix R and calculating R^2.
Opus_723
This isn't a homework question, but I'm having trouble understanding something about rotations conceptually. While reading about the Euler Identity online, I keep running into a few things that I can't wrap my head around and never come with an explanation.

Here are the concepts I can't understand:

A half-turn is the square of a quarter turn.
Rotations cannot be added, only multiplied.

Why is this? Intuitively, if I'm thinking about rotating by a quarter turn, then another quarter turn, I add them together to get a half turn. Instead, it appears I have to multiply the quarter turn by itself. I don't understand this.

pi equals 2(pi/2), not (pi^2)/4

Basically, I keep running across descriptions of rotations as exponential growth, whereas all I can see when looking at them is linear growth. How are rotations exponential?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Consider the rotation matrix R that does you're quarter turn.

In a nutshell what it is saying is that your half turn is represented by

R(R(X)) where X is your point assuming you are rotating the point about the origin.

Consider your quarter turn to be R x X = X(0)

Apply that same rotation R x X(0) applies the rotation to the result of the 1st rotation.

So essentially R^2(X) is applying the same rotation "twice" hence the half turn result.

If you want to prove this rigorously, create the rotation matrix R using the definition of your rotation and calculate R^2 and see what you get for each individual entry in your resultant matrix R^2.

What is a rotation?

A rotation is a type of transformation that involves rotating an object around a fixed point, known as the center of rotation. It changes the orientation of the object without changing its size or shape.

How is a rotation different from a translation or reflection?

A rotation differs from a translation, which involves moving an object without changing its orientation, and a reflection, which involves flipping an object across a line. A rotation changes the orientation of an object, but does not change its position or mirror it.

What is the difference between a clockwise and counterclockwise rotation?

A clockwise rotation is one that moves in the same direction as the hands of a clock, while a counterclockwise rotation is one that moves in the opposite direction. The direction of rotation can affect the final position of the object.

How are rotations represented mathematically?

Rotations can be represented using coordinates and matrices. In two-dimensional space, a rotation is represented by a 2x2 matrix, while in three-dimensional space, it is represented by a 3x3 matrix. These matrices can be used to perform rotations on objects.

Why are rotations important in science and mathematics?

Rotations are important in science and mathematics because they are used to describe and understand the movements of objects in space. They are also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to model and manipulate objects in a three-dimensional space.