Modify Battery Level Indicator for 12V DC Battery | LM3914 Circuit

• Thread starter yournextboss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the conversation is about modifying a battery level indicator circuit without the charging circuit, using an LM3914 and a 12V DC battery. The person is seeking help and asking for calculations to be shown for changing the resistance and capacitance in the circuit. They also mention a previous conversation about modifying an automatic emergency torch circuit from a 2.4V to a 6V battery.
yournextboss
Hi there,can anyone please help me modify a battery level indicator that i picked out from the web.Its actually a small circuit that i need to modify without the charging circuit at the end.I need to change any resistance or capacitance if any.If you can help then would it be possible to show me any calculations that had to be done in modifying the circuit.It runs off with a 12v dc battery and uses an ic LM3914.email me if u are interested and i will send a pdf of the circuit.Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
yournextboss,

Welcome to PF!

You are much more likely to get help if you simply post the schematic here and state exactly what you want the circuit to do when finished.

Fish

Hello the attachment contains the circuit of an Automatic emergency torch.It has a 2.4V Ni cd battery.I would like to modify it to a 6V Battery.The resistance and capacitance would need to be changed.Could u please show me your calculations when modifying the circuit,thanks :-)

Attachments

• Automatic%20emergency%20tourch.pdf
    109.1 KB · Views: 304
yournextboss said:
Hello the attachment contains the circuit of an Automatic emergency torch.It has a 2.4V Ni cd battery.I would like to modify it to a 6V Battery.The resistance and capacitance would need to be changed.Could u please show me your calculations when modifying the circuit,thanks :-)

and your existing battery voltage indicator circuit with the LM3914 ? :)

Dave

1. What is a battery level indicator?

A battery level indicator is a device or feature that shows the remaining power or charge of a battery. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as smartphones, laptops, and cameras to inform the user when the battery needs to be recharged.

2. How does a battery level indicator work?

A battery level indicator works by monitoring the voltage and current of the battery. It uses this information to estimate the remaining charge and displays it in a visual form, such as a bar graph or percentage, for the user to see.

3. Why is a battery level indicator important?

A battery level indicator is important because it allows users to easily monitor the remaining power of their device's battery. This helps them plan their usage and avoid unexpected shutdowns due to a dead battery. It also helps prolong the lifespan of the battery by preventing overcharging or completely draining it.

4. Can a battery level indicator be inaccurate?

Yes, a battery level indicator can be inaccurate. Factors such as temperature, age of the battery, and battery type can affect the accuracy of the indicator. It is always recommended to use the device's original battery and calibrate the battery level indicator regularly for more accurate readings.

5. Is it necessary to constantly charge my battery to a full level?

No, it is not necessary to constantly charge your battery to a full level. In fact, it is recommended to avoid fully charging or fully draining the battery as it can shorten its lifespan. It is best to maintain the battery level between 20-80% for optimal performance and longevity.