Speed of Cylinder & Hoop Down Ramp: Analysis

In summary, the problem asks for the final speed of a cylinder and a hoop at the bottom of a ramp, given their masses, radii, and the ramp's length and angle. The suggested solution is to use conservation of energy and take into account rotational kinetic energy for objects that are allowed to roll down the ramp. The final equation for calculating the speed involves the object's moment of inertia and can be simplified for different types of objects, such as a solid cylinder or a hoop.
missnuss

Homework Statement

Consider both a cylinder of radius Rc and mass mc and a hoop of radius Rh and mass mh. If both are at the top of a ramp of length L and at an angle theta what are the objects speed at the bottom of the ramp?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show your work before people help you. That IS the modus operandi of this
forum. Check thread started by me for example...

Last edited:
Sorry. I didn't post what I had tried to do because I have no clue where to even start. I'm not looking for the answer, I just wanted some help.

Use conservation of energy. Are the cylinders "allowed" to roll down the ramp? If so, you have to add in a rotational kinetic energy term into your equation.

If L is the length of the ramp, then the bottom point of any symmetric object would be
at height [itex] L\sin \theta [/itex]. Using conservation of energy, the potential energy
at the top should be equal to the sum of translational and rotational kinetic energies
at the bottom. For an object with moment of inertia about its center of mass I,

[tex] mg(L \sin \theta)= \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}I \omega^2 [/tex]

for pure rolling motion, [itex]\omega = v/R [/itex] so

[tex]mg(L \sin \theta)= \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}I \frac{v^2}{R^2}[/tex]

solving for v, we have

[tex] v = \left[\frac{2gL \sin \theta}{1+(I/mR^2)}\right]^{1/2} [/tex]

from here, you can derive special cases for different bodies, in your case, a solid
cylinder (or is it hollow) and a hoop.

Thank you so very much

1. What factors affect the speed of a cylinder and hoop down a ramp?

The speed of a cylinder and hoop down a ramp is affected by several factors, including the angle of the ramp, the mass of the objects, and the coefficient of friction between the objects and the ramp surface. Other factors that may influence the speed include the shape and size of the objects, as well as the surface texture of the ramp.

2. How does the angle of the ramp impact the speed of the objects?

The angle of the ramp has a significant impact on the speed of the objects. As the angle increases, the objects will accelerate and reach higher speeds. This is because a steeper ramp will have a greater component of the force of gravity acting in the direction of motion, causing the objects to accelerate more quickly.

3. Why does mass affect the speed of the objects down the ramp?

The mass of the objects affects their speed down the ramp because of Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. A greater mass will require more force to accelerate, resulting in a lower speed down the ramp. This is why larger and heavier objects will typically have a slower speed down the ramp compared to smaller and lighter objects.

4. How does the coefficient of friction impact the speed of the objects?

The coefficient of friction between the objects and the ramp surface affects the speed by creating a force that opposes the motion of the objects. If the coefficient of friction is high, it will create more resistance and slow down the objects as they move down the ramp. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of friction will result in less resistance and allow the objects to reach higher speeds.

5. What is the difference between the speed of a cylinder and a hoop down the ramp?

The speed of a cylinder and a hoop down the ramp may differ due to their different rotational inertia. The hoop has a higher rotational inertia than the cylinder, meaning that it requires more force to accelerate it. Therefore, the cylinder may reach higher speeds down the ramp compared to the hoop. Additionally, the shape and surface area of the objects may also impact their speeds, as well as any other factors previously mentioned.