Understanding Cell Arrangement in Laptop Battery Rebuilding

In summary, each cell in the battery pack is 3.7V 1800 mAH Li-Ion cells. There are six of them in the battery pack. The VP is receiving 7.4v and VG is the ground. VH and VM are receiving both positive and ground of 14.8v. It is exactly how I drew it on the image above.
cadaver
So I am in the process of rebuilding my laptop battery for higher capacity cells. I would appreciate it if someone can help me understand the arrangement of the cells. From my research, each cell is 3.7V 1800 mAH Li-Ion cells. There are 6 of them in the battery pack. In this arrangement:

Untitled.png

I will guess and say that the VP is receiving 7.4v and VG is the ground. But why is VH and VM receiving both positive and ground of 14.8v? And what do they stand for?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
cadaver said:
So I am in the process of rebuilding my laptop battery for higher capacity cells. I would appreciate it if someone can help me understand the arrangement of the cells. From my research, each cell is 3.7V 1800 mAH Li-Ion cells. There are 6 of them in the battery pack. In this arrangement:

View attachment 36565

I will guess and say that the VP is receiving 7.4v and VG is the ground. But why is VH and VM receiving both positive and ground of 14.8v? And what do they stand for?

I think you should redraw the circuit on paper so its easier to understand, you should see what's going on better.

It is exactly how I drew it on the image above. From what I see in the battery case, there are wires going from the battery terminals to VH, VM, VP, VG which are solder points on the circuit board. I'm just trying to figure out how can one input receive both + and - ?

pardon me for posting to an old thread, but i came across this in a search...

i'm a little confused by your diagram. i don't understand how it would be putting out 14.8v. if your battery is putting out 14.8v i would think you have 4 cells, or pairs wired in parallel then, wired in series (4 * 3.7 = 14.8) do you mean 11.1v?

VM & VH would be used for balancing afaik. if it's an 11.1v battery, VM would be between the first and second cell(s) in series, and would read 3.7v. VH would be between the second and third, and would read 7.4v. then measuring the VP (B+) you would see 11.1v.

those numbers would be appox. if an individual cell is below 2.8-3.0v it's possibly undercharged. above 4.2-4.3v it's possibly overcharged. so you may be getting a slightly different voltage reading.

1. What is laptop battery rebuilding?

Laptop battery rebuilding is the process of replacing the internal cells of a laptop battery with new ones in order to restore its capacity and extend its lifespan.

2. How do I know if my laptop battery needs to be rebuilt?

If your laptop battery is not holding a charge for as long as it used to or if it is frequently dying, it may be a sign that it needs to be rebuilt. You can also check the battery's capacity using a diagnostic tool.

3. Can any laptop battery be rebuilt?

Not all laptop batteries can be rebuilt. Some manufacturers design their batteries in a way that makes it difficult to replace the internal cells. It is best to research your specific laptop model to see if it is rebuildable or not.

4. Is laptop battery rebuilding safe?

When done correctly, laptop battery rebuilding is safe. However, it is important to use high-quality replacement cells and follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area.

5. How much does it cost to rebuild a laptop battery?

The cost of rebuilding a laptop battery can vary depending on the type and model of the battery, as well as the cost of the replacement cells. It is generally cheaper than purchasing a new battery, but it is recommended to get a quote from a professional before starting the process.