Exploring Perception: How Do We See the World?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Routaran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Perception
In summary, the brain takes in information from the eyes and uses it to create a picture of the world, but this picture is not always accurate as the brain tries to match it to what it knows. The eye does not take frames like a camera, but rather the brain processes constantly firing images. Magic tricks often involve more than just quick hand movements, but also showmanship, misdirection, and illusion.
Routaran
Hey all,
I am curious. I was discussing magic tricks earlier today and how the "hand is faster than the eye." It got me thinking. How exactly do we perceive the world around us? Does the brain take frames from each eye and amalgamate them to produce a 3d model of the world around us like a video camera in a sense or is it a continuous image with no gaps?

Reason i ask is that the claim was made that its easier to fool a camera than the eye, which I disagreed with. But didn't have a good reason for holding that position as i don't know exactly how we see things. I would like to know why i am right/wrong.

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
As I understand it, it takes the eye about 200 ms to respond to an unexpected stimulus and then still another 20-200 ms to take in what's there.

There's more info for instance on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccade

Routaran said:
Hey all,
I am curious. I was discussing magic tricks earlier today and how the "hand is faster than the eye." It got me thinking. How exactly do we perceive the world around us? Does the brain take frames from each eye and amalgamate them to produce a 3d model of the world around us like a video camera in a sense or is it a continuous image with no gaps?

Reason i ask is that the claim was made that its easier to fool a camera than the eye, which I disagreed with. But didn't have a good reason for holding that position as i don't know exactly how we see things. I would like to know why i am right/wrong.

Thanks

The eye doesn't take "frames" as such, when a camera takes a picture it is a snapshot of what all the receptors are sensing at one time. With the eye your http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_cell" are constantly firing and not all as a group.

The brain takes all of these images and builds a picture. However this picture is not a faithful one, the brain is constantly trying to match what it sees to what it knows (ever thought you've seen a person out of the corner of your eye but when your head turns it's a coat?), this is demonstrated by the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_spot_(vision)" our optic nerve has to tunnel through our photoreceptors, consequently our brain "fills in" what it thinks is in this blind spot.

With regards to magic tricks it is not often that the trick involves the hand moving fast, normally it also involves showmanship, misdirection and illusion. For an example of how much faster your hand can go compared to your brains ability to build a composite picture just shake your hand really fast in front of your eye.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is perception?

Perception is the process by which our brain interprets and organizes information from our senses to create our understanding of the world around us.

2. How do we see the world?

We see the world through our five senses: sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch. These senses work together to provide us with a complete picture of our surroundings.

3. What factors can influence our perception?

Our perception can be influenced by a variety of factors, including our past experiences, cultural background, emotions, and expectations.

4. Can our perception be altered or changed?

Yes, our perception can be altered or changed through various means, such as new experiences, education, and exposure to different perspectives.

5. Why is exploring perception important?

Exploring perception is important because it helps us understand how our brains interpret and make sense of the world. It also allows us to recognize and challenge our biases and assumptions, leading to a more open-minded and accurate understanding of the world around us.