Going on to do Quantum: Astrophysics versus Experimental Physics

In summary, to determine the impact of your undergraduate degree on your postgraduate acceptance, it is important to research specific requirements of postgraduate programs and contact admissions offices of schools directly for more information. This will give you a better understanding of how your current degree or a double degree in experimental physics and mathematical physics may affect your chances of being accepted into a postgraduate program for quantum mechanics.
Smiles302
I'm doing an undergraduate in astrophysics at the moment. In Sept, I'll have to decide between continuing the single honours in astrophysics or doing a double honours in experimental physics and mathematical physics.

My goal is to go on to do a masters, preferably in the UK, in quantum mechanics. How would I know what difference it would make, if any, on my likelihood of being excepted into a post-grad?

Flicking through websites the requirements seem to just say relevant undergraduate in physics or maths.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to determine the impact of your undergraduate degree on your postgraduate acceptance is to research postgraduate programs that interest you and see what their specific requirements are for admission. Many postgraduate programs will list what type of undergraduate degree they prefer, and what specific courses or topics they would like to see in an applicant's academic background. Additionally, you can contact the admissions office of the school you are interested in and ask them directly about the types of undergraduate degrees they prefer. In this way, you can get a better idea of how your current degree or a double degree in experimental physics and mathematical physics would affect your chances of being accepted into your desired postgraduate program.

1. What is the difference between quantum and astrophysics?

Quantum physics deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. Astrophysics, on the other hand, focuses on the study of celestial objects and phenomena in the universe.

2. Which field offers more job opportunities?

Both quantum and astrophysics offer a variety of job opportunities. However, quantum physics is a rapidly growing field with applications in technology, medicine, and many other industries. Astrophysics, on the other hand, is more research-oriented and may have fewer job opportunities outside of academia.

3. What skills are required for each field?

To pursue a career in quantum physics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics and a curious, analytical mind. Astrophysics requires a similar mathematical background, as well as a passion for astronomy and an aptitude for data analysis and computer modeling.

4. Can I specialize in both fields?

Yes, it is possible to specialize in both quantum and astrophysics. Many research projects and job opportunities involve both fields, such as studying the quantum properties of celestial objects or using quantum computing to model astrophysical phenomena.

5. Which field has the potential for groundbreaking discoveries?

Both quantum and astrophysics have the potential for groundbreaking discoveries. Quantum physics has already led to many revolutionary technologies, and there are ongoing efforts to understand and apply quantum mechanics on a larger scale. Astrophysics has also made significant discoveries, such as the existence of black holes and the expansion of the universe, and continues to push the boundaries of our understanding of the cosmos.