Arduino board works on one computer but not another

In summary, the programmer27 tried uploading a servo program from their computer, but got errors. After switching the board to a different computer and using different software, the program was able to run. However, after the board finished uploading, nothing happened. He thinks it may be a bug because the same errors didn't pop up on another computer.
programmer27
Greetings,
I have recently bought a roboduino http://store.curiousinventor.com/all-kits/roboduino-kit-servo-ready-freeduino-arduino-compatible.html . I have tried uploading programs from my computer (a Dell Inspiron 1525 Vista) using Arduino 0022, however it does not seem to work. At first, I was getting the errors:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x00
After switching the board to Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (5V, 16 MHz) w/ATmega328, these errors stopped popping up.
I was able to run a program that made a servo turn 90 degrees and it worked. I unplugged it and came back 10 minutes later only to find it stopped working.
I have tried to re-upload my servo program, and tried a basic sample program (like the Blink test from this site http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Blink) seem to program ok (since no errors pop up and the LEDs blink on the board), but after the board finishes programming nothing happens.
I have tried to plug my roboduino (using the same USB cord) into a different computer and it works. It flashes the same way that it does on my Dell to signal that it is uploading, but after the sequence is over it runs the program.
I do not think it is a power issue because I programed the roboduino on the other computer (an Asus), getting the program to run, and then plugging the microcontroller into my Dell (to use as the power supply) and it continued to run the program.
I have also made sure that the programs are identical on both computers. I have checked that the data bits are the same and that the COM ports are as well.
I have reinstalled the FTDI drivers on my Dell, and I have also updated the COM drivers.
I think it must be a bug because I checked all the basic problems.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
programmer27

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you properly unmount the USB cable prior to pulling it out? Some USB host ICs are very finicky in that regards. If not, did it work when you reset the computer?

MATLABdude said:
Do you properly unmount the USB cable prior to pulling it out?

Yes I did, I did the same for both computers

MATLABdude said:
If not, did it work when you reset the computer?

No it did not

Thanks

1. Why does my Arduino board work on one computer but not another?

There are several possible reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the Arduino software or drivers are not properly installed on the computer where the board is not working. Another possibility is that the board is not receiving enough power from the USB port on the computer. It could also be a compatibility issue with the operating system or other software on the computer.

2. How can I troubleshoot the issue?

First, make sure that the Arduino software and drivers are properly installed on the computer. You can also try using a different USB port or a powered USB hub to ensure that the board is receiving enough power. If the issue persists, you can try updating the software or checking for compatibility issues with the operating system. You can also try using a different Arduino board to see if the issue is with the specific board or the computer.

3. Can I use the same Arduino board on multiple computers?

Yes, you can use the same Arduino board on multiple computers as long as the necessary software and drivers are properly installed on each computer. You may need to select the correct board and port in the Arduino software when switching between computers.

4. I am getting an error message when trying to upload code to the Arduino board on a different computer. What should I do?

If you are getting an error message when trying to upload code to the Arduino board on a different computer, make sure that the correct board and port are selected in the Arduino software. You may also need to check that the board is properly connected to the computer and receiving enough power. If the issue persists, try restarting the computer and/or the Arduino board.

5. Can I transfer code from one computer to another and use it on the same Arduino board?

Yes, you can transfer code from one computer to another and use it on the same Arduino board. However, you may need to make sure that the necessary libraries and dependencies are also transferred to ensure that the code runs properly. It is also important to note that the board may need to be properly connected and selected in the Arduino software on the new computer.