Signal attenuator controllable by UDP,TCPIP?

• Thread starter paul120
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signal
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to simulate digital television picture breakup for a degree project. The speaker has found manual attenuators but wants to automate the process with software on a PC. They envision using a USB TV receiver and a signal attenuator with a serial input controlled by software. They mention the availability of surplus digital attenuators and the possibility of building a simple interface.
paul120
Hello as part of a degree project I need to simulate digital television picture breakup, as demonstrated when the signal level is low or interferred with. I have found manual attenuators which are quite cheap but I need to automate the process with software on a pc. Is there anyway possible of acheiving this?
I envisage a pc running a usb tv receiever, the aerial coax cable plugged into a signal attenuator, the signal attenuantor having a serial input which allows the attenuation to be controlled via software on the PC. the software side is not an issue, merely the harware.
Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Digital attenuators were common place when I was doing RF. May need to build a simple serial to parallel interface, maybe with a convertor to BCD. These should be available surplus, based upon the magnitudes of quantity that I have seen scrapped.

Yes, it is possible to control a signal attenuator using UDP or TCP/IP. This can be achieved by using a microcontroller or a programmable attenuator with built-in networking capabilities. The microcontroller can be programmed to receive commands over UDP or TCP/IP and adjust the attenuation level accordingly. Alternatively, you can use a programmable attenuator with built-in network connectivity, which can be controlled using a software interface on the PC. This would eliminate the need for a separate microcontroller. Both of these options would allow you to automate the attenuation process and simulate digital television picture breakup.

What is a signal attenuator controllable by UDP/TCPIP?

A signal attenuator controllable by UDP/TCPIP is a device used to adjust and control the strength of a signal being transmitted through a network. It can be used to decrease or increase the amplitude of the signal, which can be useful for testing and troubleshooting purposes.

How does a signal attenuator controllable by UDP/TCPIP work?

A signal attenuator controllable by UDP/TCPIP works by receiving commands through a network, typically through UDP or TCP/IP protocols. These commands tell the device to adjust the attenuation level, which affects the strength of the signal being transmitted.

What are the advantages of using a signal attenuator controllable by UDP/TCPIP?

One advantage of using a signal attenuator controllable by UDP/TCPIP is that it can be remotely controlled through a network. This allows for easier and more convenient adjustment of signal strength without having to physically access the device. Additionally, it can be used for various types of signals and protocols, making it a versatile tool for testing and troubleshooting.

Can a signal attenuator controllable by UDP/TCPIP be used for both wired and wireless networks?

Yes, a signal attenuator controllable by UDP/TCPIP can be used for both wired and wireless networks. As long as the device is connected to the network and is compatible with the protocols being used, it can be controlled and adjusted accordingly.

Are there any limitations to using a signal attenuator controllable by UDP/TCPIP?

One limitation of using a signal attenuator controllable by UDP/TCPIP is that it can only be used for signals within a certain frequency range. Additionally, it may not be suitable for high-frequency signals or signals with complex modulation schemes. It is important to check the specifications of the device to ensure it is suitable for the specific signals being tested or transmitted.

Back