Uberman Sleep Schedule: Myth or Reality?

In summary, there is a sleep schedule called the Uberman or Polyphasic Sleep that involves sleeping every few hours for short periods of time, allowing for less total sleep but supposedly the same energy level. However, there is debate over its effectiveness and it may not be practical for most people due to societal constraints and restrictions on caffeine intake. Some sources claim it is a myth and others argue it can be successful with dedication. Ultimately, the body has a natural preference for a 9 hour sleep cycle and it may not be possible to fully adapt to a polyphasic schedule.
WiFO215
I wasn't quite sure whether to put this here or is skepticism and debunking. Anyway here goes. I was reading the other day about this different way of sleeping that allows one to sleep just two hours a day. It is called the Uberman sleep schedule. Basically, one sleeps every 3-4 hours for 20-30 minutes and that is all the sleep that one requires. Read more on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep" for instance. Google to find more.) I was just wondering how true this is? I don't see any studies done on this.

I found http://www.supermemo.com/articles/polyphasic.htm" write-up that claimed otherwise and all this was a myth. I don't know what to make of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
From what I've heard of it, it's called the "Uberman" schedule or Polyphasic Sleep. It apparently allows you to sleep a bit less but remain at the same energy level. I would gladly have tried it if it wasn't for the fact that society isn't constructed around this schedule. I can't sleep every few hours at work/school; sorry won't happen. It's a neat idea though. Another reason I couldn't do it is because I will never let go of my green tea, and you simply can't have any caffeine when you're on the schedule since you're always going to sleep in 3:40.

If you want an account of this:

http://everything2.com/title/Uberman%27s+Sleep+Schedule

Good luck, it is worth it if you can manage.

The body has a natural affinity for sleeping in 9 hours blocks on a 24 hour cycle. This can't be broken and you will never truly adapt to a polyphasic pattern. While some people do have abnormal sleep, I wouldn't believe everything I read in blogs either.

1. What is the Uberman sleep schedule?

The Uberman sleep schedule is a type of polyphasic sleep cycle where a person sleeps for several short periods throughout the day, rather than one long period at night.

2. Is the Uberman sleep schedule real or just a myth?

The reality of the Uberman sleep schedule is a topic of debate among scientists and sleep experts. Some believe it is possible to successfully adapt to this schedule, while others argue that it is not sustainable for most individuals.

3. What are the supposed benefits of the Uberman sleep schedule?

Proponents of the Uberman sleep schedule claim that it can increase productivity, creativity, and overall energy levels. It is also said to provide more time in the day for activities and reduce the need for traditional nighttime sleep.

4. What are the potential risks or drawbacks of the Uberman sleep schedule?

One of the main concerns about the Uberman sleep schedule is the potential for sleep deprivation and its negative effects on physical and mental health. It can also be difficult to maintain a consistent schedule, leading to disruptions in daily routines and social interactions.

5. Can anyone successfully adapt to the Uberman sleep schedule?

It is not recommended for everyone to attempt the Uberman sleep schedule, as it requires a significant amount of discipline and may not be suitable for individuals with certain medical conditions. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before attempting to adopt this sleep schedule.