Study plan for Spivak's Calculus

In summary, the person is struggling with understanding calculus using Spivak's textbook and is considering focusing on the exercises with answers in the book in order to catch up with the class. They are asking if this is a good plan and if they will still be able to understand the upcoming chapters by only doing half of the exercises. Another person responds by saying that they will still be able to understand without doing any exercises, but exercises can improve intuition and understanding. The person then expresses their doubts about whether reading or exercising is more effective for learning. They ultimately conclude that exercising is better than just reading and re-reading.
carlosbgois
The main textbook for my calculus course is much easier to grasp than Spivak's,
and I may be in risk of getting behind the class, as I take much more time in each subject when using spivak instead of the indicated book.

Then, I was thinking about solving all the exercises on spivak which have answers in the book (I think they're 1/2 of the total), and moving on to the next chapter's, to come back for all exercises if I find some free time.

Is it a good plan? Will I be able to understand the next chapters by doing only half of the exercises?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
carlosbgois said:
Will I be able to understand the next chapters by doing only half of the exercises?

Yes, certainly. In fact, you'll be able to understand everything without making any exercise at all! I don't think Spivak hides essential stuff in his exercises...

That said, exercises improve your intuiton and might give you examples, counterexamples, techniques, etc. that you wouldn't normally have. So while making exercises isn't necessary, it certainly has a lot of value. The more exercises you make, the more you understand what exactly is going on!

Likes Simpl0S
Thank you. I've always had some doubt about what is best, in relation to time spent and amount or learning: reading or exercising. I'd rather be able to read and learn, and apply the knowledge only when really necessary, instead of spending a lot of time exercising, but I'm coming to the conclusion that exercising is way better then reading and re-reading.

1. What is the best way to approach studying Spivak's Calculus?

The best way to approach studying Spivak's Calculus is to first familiarize yourself with the content and structure of the book. Start by reading the preface and introduction to understand the author's approach and goals for the book. Then, it is important to work through each chapter systematically, making sure to understand each concept before moving on to the next one.

2. How much time should I dedicate to studying Spivak's Calculus?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying Spivak's Calculus will depend on your individual learning style and pace. However, as a general guideline, it is recommended to spend at least 1-2 hours each day on studying the material in order to fully grasp the concepts and complete practice problems.

3. What are some recommended resources to supplement my study plan for Spivak's Calculus?

There are a few resources that can be helpful in supplementing your study plan for Spivak's Calculus. Some options include online video lectures, practice problem sets, and study guides. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

4. How can I ensure I am fully understanding the material as I study Spivak's Calculus?

One way to ensure you are fully understanding the material as you study Spivak's Calculus is to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, creating study guides, and working through practice problems. It can also be helpful to regularly check your understanding by completing quizzes or practice exams.

5. What are some tips for staying motivated while studying Spivak's Calculus?

Staying motivated while studying Spivak's Calculus can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Breaking up your study sessions into smaller, manageable chunks can prevent burnout and make the material more digestible. It can also be helpful to set specific goals and rewards for yourself as you make progress. Additionally, finding a study partner or joining a study group can provide accountability and support throughout the studying process.