Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics

In summary: He is a top mathematician and his book is dense but well written. I read it cover to cover in a few weeks and found it very helpful. I would also recommend the second edition, which is somewhat more affordable.
nicholls
So I'm looking for a decent book which I can use as a reference for now (and hopefully at some point read all the way through) on the mathematics of physics. And by "mathematics of physics" I mean a single book which covers the bases of most math needed for any undergraduate and maybe even the odd graduate course in physics.

One use for it would be say, I'm taking a more advanced course on quantum mechanics and I'm a bit rusty on my linear algebra. It would be nice to have a book I could quickly reference.

I found the book, "Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics" by Byron and Fuller online and by briefly surveying the table of contents, it seems to be just the thing I need. Does anyone have any experience with this book or reccomend any books similar in nature to this one??

*EDIT: I should mention that I have a pretty decent knowledge of basic, multivariable, and vector calc, along with a decent textbook which covers this pretty well (Stewart's text on calculus), so the book I'm looking for should cover material above this level.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm looking into something a bit more advanced than the first two books you listed. The third one looks decent though.

In my experience, the sort of books you are after "mathematics for physicists" etc. are usually a little soft. In my honest opinion your are better going for texts for each individual topic and looking for books with more emphasis on the mathematics.

Hootenanny said:
In my experience, the sort of books you are after "mathematics for physicists" etc. are usually a little soft. In my honest opinion your are better going for texts for each individual topic and looking for books with more emphasis on the mathematics.

I do agree with you on this. However, there are several reasons I would prefer a text on mathematical physics:

A) a lot of the material I have covered before (if even just briefly), and I just need a refresher on it

B) I don't have the money to purchase a textbook for each individual topic, nor the time/motivation to look through them all, making it an even bigger waste of money

C) as much as I'd love to understand everything math, I just don't have time, and I would rather focus on something which condenses the math into things that are very important for physics. I'm concerned that if I bought a full text in say group theory, that I may only really need a couple chapters, and the rest would again just be a waste of time/money to read

Of course, if I have trouble understanding something, or realize a much deeper understanding is required, I could always go purchase a particular mathematical topic and read that through. However, I would rather use that as a last resort.

I'm currently about halfway through the book by Byron and Fuller and it's one of the best books I've seen. He offers physical intuition and insights to otherwise very technical mathematics. There were some points I couldn't follow due to lack of experience, but if I spent enough time, I usually could see what was going on. (edit) I'm not sure how good it would be as a reference though...

Byron Fuller is ideal for the purpose you describe

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum physics in terms of mathematics?

The main difference between classical and quantum physics in terms of mathematics is the use of different mathematical models to describe physical phenomena. Classical physics uses deterministic equations, such as Newton's laws of motion, while quantum physics uses probabilistic equations, such as the Schrödinger equation.

2. How does mathematics play a role in understanding the principles of classical and quantum physics?

Mathematics is the language that allows us to describe and understand the principles of classical and quantum physics. It provides a precise and rigorous framework for formulating theories and making predictions about physical phenomena.

3. What are the mathematical concepts used in classical and quantum physics?

The mathematical concepts used in classical physics include calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. In contrast, quantum physics uses more advanced mathematical concepts such as Hilbert spaces, operators, and complex numbers.

4. How does the concept of uncertainty play a role in the mathematics of quantum physics?

The concept of uncertainty, also known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum physics that states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This concept is mathematically described by the commutation relations of quantum operators.

5. What are the applications of the mathematics of classical and quantum physics?

The mathematics of classical and quantum physics has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as engineering, chemistry, and technology. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems, develop new technologies, and make accurate measurements in experiments.