Why are there so many versions of Thomas' Calculus?

• Thread starter djh101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, there are multiple versions of Calculus textbooks available, including single variable, full book, multivariable, and early transcendentals editions. The full book usually covers Calculus 1-3, while the single variable edition only covers the first two semesters. "Early Transcendentals" is an alternate full edition with topics presented out of order, and there is also an alternate single variable edition with the same format. Additionally, there is a series called "University Calculus" with various versions and Thomas, the original author, passed away in 2006.
djh101
I'm just starting my first semester of Calculus and am wondering why there are so many versions of this book. I've been told that the single variable version will only get me through the first two semesters and the full book (the one just titled Thomas' Calculus) would get me through calc 1-3. But then there's multivariable and early transcendents. What are those? Is the full book just single variable and another book combined? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculus 3 = Multivariable calculus in a number of schools, so the full book = single variable edition + multivariable edition.

"Early Transcendentals" is an alternate full edition where the topics are presented slightly out of order. Note that there also exists a "Early Transcendentals, Single Variable" edition, which is an alternate single variable edition with the topics presented slightly out of order.

There is also a series entitled "University Calculus," where Thomas is listed as a coauthor. The presentation is "streamlined" (so I guess they correspond to the books entitled "Essential Calculus" by other authors). They too have a number of versions:
- University Calculus, Early Transcendentals
- University Calculus, Alternate Edition
- University Calculus, Early Transcendentals, Single Variable
- University Calculus, Alternate Edition, Single Variable
- University Calculus, Early Transcendentals, Multivariable

Good grief. I used a version of Thomas in 1962. Surely whoever "Thomas" is, he's not still actively involved in the books?

He passed away in 2006 at age 92.

Ah, okay, thank you. I guess they're just revising his book without him, them, because Thomas' Calculus 12 came out in '09.

1. Why does Thomas' Calculus have so many versions?

There are multiple versions of Thomas' Calculus because the field of calculus is constantly evolving and new developments and techniques are being discovered. Each new version incorporates these changes and updates to provide a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of the subject.

2. How often are new versions of Thomas' Calculus released?

The frequency of new versions of Thomas' Calculus varies, but on average, a new edition is released every 3-4 years. This allows for enough time for significant advancements in the field to be incorporated into the text.

3. Are all the versions of Thomas' Calculus similar?

While the core concepts and principles of calculus remain the same across all versions, there may be some differences in the presentation of the material and the inclusion of new topics. It is important to carefully review the table of contents and preface of each version to determine which one best fits your needs.

4. Do I need to buy the latest version of Thomas' Calculus?

It is not necessary to buy the latest version of Thomas' Calculus, especially if you are using it for self-study or as a reference. However, if you are using the textbook for a course, it is recommended to use the version specified by your instructor to ensure that you are studying the same material.

5. Can I still use an older version of Thomas' Calculus?

Yes, you can still use an older version of Thomas' Calculus as the core concepts and principles remain the same. However, it is important to note that there may be differences in the examples, exercises, and practice problems, so you may need to consult with your instructor for additional resources or clarification.