Premed and Physics Majors: Finding the Perfect College for Your Dual Interests

In summary, It is possible and plausible to pursue a premed track while majoring in physics. Physics majors typically perform well on the MCAT and most colleges and universities offer both premed classes and physics programs. State universities are a good option to consider.
minifigmaster
So, I'm looking at colleges and whatnot, and I know I want to be a doctor of some sort, so I am going to do pre med, but I am also really into physics. The plan is to hopefully go to a college that has a good premed classes and advice, but also get a physics major at that college. First off, is that even possible or plausible? And secondly, if it is, do you guys know of any colleges that are good for both? Don't rule out any really hard to get into colleges, I am pretty sure my grades and scores are good enough. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can do that. The premed classes can be taken along with any major. Physics majors tend to do very well on the MCAT compared to pretty much any other major. You can do the premed classes at almost any college or university, and most of those also offer physics. Your state university would be a good choice.

What is a premed and physics major?

A premed and physics major is a course of study that combines both pre-medical requirements and physics coursework. This degree is designed for students who are interested in pursuing a career in medicine, but also have a strong interest and aptitude in physics.

What are the benefits of pursuing a premed and physics major?

Pursuing a premed and physics major allows students to develop a strong foundation in both the sciences and math, which are essential for medical school. This degree also demonstrates a diverse set of skills and knowledge, making graduates competitive for a variety of careers in medicine and beyond.

What courses are typically required for a premed and physics major?

The specific course requirements may vary from school to school, but common courses include biology, chemistry, physics, calculus, and organic chemistry. Some programs may also require additional coursework in biochemistry, statistics, and psychology.

Can I still pursue a premed and physics major if I did not take physics in high school?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a premed and physics major even if you did not take physics in high school. However, it may require taking additional introductory physics courses to catch up on the necessary knowledge and skills. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to create a plan that works for you.

What career opportunities are available for graduates with a premed and physics major?

Graduates with a premed and physics major have a variety of career opportunities available to them. Some common career paths include becoming a medical doctor, biomedical researcher, medical physicist, or science educator. This degree also prepares students for graduate studies in areas such as medicine, physics, or engineering.