Understanding Dual Input Power Strips: How They Work and Their Safety Features

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of dual input power strips in data center racks and the possibility of having two or three separate mains circuits connected in parallel. It is suggested that these strips may have two mains inputs to allow for more current and it is asked if there is any logic or distribution involved in switching between circuits. The speaker also mentions seeing this arrangement in higher end computer hardware and questions the safety and distribution of load in such a setup. They request any links or information that could provide further clarification on the function of these power strips.
dr_boom
Hi,

Was wondering how dual input power strips work. I've seen them in data center racks, they have 2 mains power inputs wired to separate mains circuits. if one breaker trips then the strip still receives power from the other circuit.

Do these strips have both power circuits wired to all the outputs in parallel? or is there some logic involved to switch from one circuit to another when it senses failure on a mains circuit?

Ive also noticed on some of the higher end computer hardware I've worked on over the years where the power supply has 2 or in some cases 3 separate mains power inputs. I'm curious to know if these are all just wired in parallel. Is it safe to have 2 or even 3 separate mains circuits connected together in parallel in this sort of arrangement? if so would the load be distributed evenly across all circuits?

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
To be honest, I am not familiar with what you are describing, but it could be that they have two separate mains inputs to allow for more than the standard 15A of current (North America).

Can you find any links to the equipment you are referring to? There might be datasheets or installation instructions that could help clarify the function...

What is a dual input power strip?

A dual input power strip is a type of power strip that has two separate input ports for plugging in devices. This allows for more flexibility in terms of power sources, as you can plug the power strip into two different outlets simultaneously.

What are the benefits of using a dual input power strip?

The main benefit of using a dual input power strip is the increased flexibility in power sources. This can be useful in situations where there are limited outlets or when using devices with different power requirements. Additionally, some dual input power strips also come with surge protection to protect your devices from power surges.

How do I decide if I need a dual input power strip?

If you have multiple devices that require power and have varying power requirements, a dual input power strip can be a convenient and practical solution. It can also be useful in situations where access to outlets is limited or when traveling to different countries with different outlet types.

Are there any safety concerns with using a dual input power strip?

As with any electronic device, there are some safety concerns to keep in mind when using a dual input power strip. Make sure to check that the power strip has undergone proper safety testing and has certifications from reputable organizations. It's also important to not overload the power strip with too many devices, as this can create a fire hazard.

Can I use a dual input power strip with any type of device?

Dual input power strips are compatible with most electronic devices as long as the voltage and wattage requirements are within the power strip's capabilities. However, it's important to check the specifications of the power strip and your devices before use to ensure compatibility and avoid any potential damage to your devices.