Is Dog/Animal Rabies Vaccine Dangerous to Humans ?

• Medical
  • Thread starter CZealot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vaccine
In summary, a friend administered preventative shots of Rabies Vaccine to his dogs, and a drop of the vaccine got onto his skin. His veterinarian reassured him that there was nothing to worry about, but the friend wanted to do further research about the potential danger of animal vaccine to humans. After researching, it was found that the virus in a vaccine is inactivated and cannot cause rabies, but this information is based on human and animal vaccine effects on their respective species, not cross-species exposure. To get a more conclusive answer, it is advised to contact the manufacturer for specific regulations and precautions.
CZealot
A friend of mine was giving his dogs preventative shots of Rabies Vaccine himself due to his village's remote location and no veterinatians in the region.
The skin on his hands was exposed to a drops of vaccine while he was administering the syringe. No cuts, scratches etc, just a drop of liquid vaccine which was later washed away with a soap.
He consulted his veterinarian in the city, who said its nothing to worry about. Especially because no cuts or scratches were present. But I wanted to recheck for him on the web.

During my research every single website said that the vaccine cannot cause rabies as it is made from dead rabies virus. But the sources were providing the information in context of human vaccine effect on humans and animal vaccine effect on animals. This particular case is about animal vaccine effect on humans.

So the question is - may Dog/Animal Rabies Vaccine be Dangerous to Humans when exposed to undamaged human skin ?

I understand the question may not be adequately formulated or this is not the right place to ask it. But I would appreciate any information you could provide.
Thank you in advance.

Biology news on Phys.org
Why do you think the vaccine could be dangerous? The virus in a vaccine is inactivated and this should be checked for each batch before it is marketed. Since we do not have any further details about the particular vaccine in question, we can't say much more.

If you really want to know for certain, contact the manufacturer and ask about the regulations.

Also, the skin needs to be broken or the virus needs to touch mucous membranes in order to establish an infection, look at the following Occupational Health Form: http://www.bu.edu/rohp/files/2011/09/Rabies-Virus-AISv1-5-August-31-2011.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for a reply Monique.
The reason I'm asking this question is because I am not sure if a Dog/Animal Vaccine is dangerous to Humans.
I will find out the manufacturer and check with them.
Thanks again.

1. Is the dog/animal rabies vaccine safe for humans?

Yes, the dog/animal rabies vaccine is safe for humans. It is specifically designed to protect animals from the rabies virus and has been extensively tested for safety and effectiveness.

2. Can humans get rabies from a vaccinated dog/animal?

No, humans cannot get rabies from a vaccinated dog/animal. The rabies vaccine is designed to stimulate the animal's immune system to produce antibodies against the virus, making it unable to transmit the virus to humans.

3. Are there any side effects of the dog/animal rabies vaccine for humans?

The side effects of the dog/animal rabies vaccine for humans are minimal and rare. Some individuals may experience mild reactions such as redness or soreness at the injection site, but these are temporary and not life-threatening.

4. How often should humans get the rabies vaccine if they are exposed to a vaccinated dog/animal?

If a human is exposed to a vaccinated dog/animal that has been exposed to rabies, they should seek immediate medical attention. The doctor will determine if post-exposure prophylaxis is necessary, which may include receiving the rabies vaccine.

5. Can humans get rabies from a dog/animal that has not been vaccinated?

Yes, humans can get rabies from a dog/animal that has not been vaccinated. Rabies is a deadly virus that can be transmitted through the saliva or bite of an infected animal. It is important to always vaccinate pets against rabies to protect not only the animal but also humans who may come into contact with them.