A bit of a fun project - The claw

In summary, the inventor wants to create a machine that can pick up small objects like candy bars. The machine has two switches that control the x and y direction of the claw. There is also a button that is used to position the claw where the user wants it. The machine has motors to move the claw. The inventor wants to know where to start with programming the machine.
Mr.Rose
Hey guys,

I got an idea in my head to have a bit of fun with a project idea. I want to make one of those claw games that they use to pick up toys, or chocolate bars etc.

However there are so many ways to do it. Ideally i would like to make a small c program and put it on a PIC and use that to control everything, but then i might be over thinking the problem. Maybe it can be done with just simple logic gates, maybe CMOS or TLL.

the machine:

2 switches, one controls x plane movement, the other y plane - to move the claw around

1 button, once ideal position is found by the user, the button is pressed, at this point, both movement switches cease to work, and the crane claw begins its decent, grabs the chocolate bar and then return up, then proceeds to a pre-programed corner of the machine body to drop the prize in the hole. Even if no prize is managed to be grabed, the claw still moves to the corner and releases.. well nothing.

The claw: strength would be controlled by adjustable springs. I was thinking a servo arm would keep the springs taunt by attaching a string from the servo to the claw finger, thus the claw is open until the claw is at its final decent point then the servo releases the spring tension to create the grabing motion.

target: between 20-50g objects, basically mini candy bars.

motors: I was thinking step motors, but not to sure.

Any idea where to start?

I have the an idea on all the components of the machine, i just need some help with the programming of it. Would creating a C program be over kill? Or is there another way to do it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
C is the right way to go for programming in PIC. Assembly code is hard to write, hard to debug.

Can you please explain by drawing the way you are going to control the claw fingers ? Your idea looks interesting and a bit more explanation can help us give some ideas from our end too :)

1. What is "The Claw" project?

"The Claw" project is a fun experiment that involves creating a mechanical claw using basic materials such as cardboard, straws, and string. The goal of the project is to design and build a functional claw that can pick up small objects.

2. What materials are needed for "The Claw" project?

The materials required for "The Claw" project include cardboard, straws, string, scissors, glue, and small objects to pick up with the claw. You can also use other materials as per your creativity and availability.

3. What skills are needed to complete "The Claw" project?

The project does not require any specific skills, but having basic knowledge of using tools like scissors and glue can be helpful. The project also involves some problem-solving and creativity skills to design and build the claw.

4. How long does it take to complete "The Claw" project?

The time required to complete "The Claw" project depends on your skill level and the complexity of your design. On average, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to complete the project.

5. What are the potential learning outcomes of "The Claw" project?

"The Claw" project can help improve your problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity skills. It also introduces you to basic engineering concepts and allows you to explore and experiment with different materials and designs.